Author Topic: RAF service record 1918-1936 - help appreciated for identifying aircraft flown  (Read 1664 times)

Offline SteveKNS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RAF service record 1918-1936 - help appreciated for identifying aircraft flown
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 17:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Paul - I tried the Maidenhead ATA museum but they couldn't find anything. They said that quite a few officers' records are missing, unfortunately.

I hadn't checked the Flight Global archives, so thanks for the tip - will check that now.
Rhodes, Laycock, Dennant, Maturin, Denson, Johnston

Offline SteveKNS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RAF service record 1918-1936 - help appreciated for identifying aircraft flown
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 20:37 BST (UK) »
I think I had the wrong Wikipedia link for the third aircraft in the list (DH9A) - this is probably the Airco DH9A: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airco_DH.9A

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 May 19 19:10 BST (UK) »
Have you considered the ACR(xx) may refer to the year of pilot certification.   It seems to fit quite well with the chronology of the stated aircraft introductions.

Offline SteveKNS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 May 19 20:31 BST (UK) »
You might be on to something there, so thanks for that. I've just checked the service record again and found a couple of other places where ACR codes are used - see attachments.

The first attachment shows the education and qualifications, with his former occupation of motor car designing being assigned an ACR123 (or possibly ACR/23) code. He worked as a motor car designer from 1906 to 1914/15, so I can't see how that relates to the time period unless he didn't receive recognition for that until 1923.

The second attachment is an extract from his medical board notes; I've omitted the medical condition, but you can see the board dates, classification and remarks - the latter has ACR references i.e. ACR 1925, ACR 1926-1934 and ACR 1935 and these correspond with the dates of the medical conditions.

I've searched for the ACR acronym but haven't found anything definite. The closest was "Appointments, Commissions & Rewards" that I found on a Canadian air force website.