Author Topic: DNA test - discovering paternal great grandparent  (Read 314 times)

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA test - discovering paternal great grandparent
« on: Wednesday 01 May 19 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hello

I was wondering about dna tests. I am trying to find out who my great grandfather on my fathers side was, to no avail.

Would taking a dna test help identify him? Hes my fathers fathers father, so maybe a y chromosome test would help

Thanks

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA test - discovering paternal great grandparent
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 14:31 BST (UK) »
Yes taking a DNA could potentially help.

Whether taking a DNA would help would be dependent on others who you are related to, to have also taken a DNA test to make the match.

Warning, yes in theory taking a YDNA test would seem the way forward but the first DNA test I took 5 years ago was a YDNA test to help with a paternal brick wall, albeit c1750. To date I have had no useful replies on that. For that reason I would suggest taking an autosomal test. Yes this means it will look at all your ancestral lines and you will get many more matches and that means a lot of work weeding out the wheat from the chaff so to speak but in the end is more likely to give  a result I think. That said it could still be a long slog and require a lot of checking etc by you

Be interested to see what others suggest (apart from you may have been better posting this on the DNA board - if you want it there PM the moderators and they may be able to move it for you)

In the meantime have you tried looking at other ways to try to establish who the man in question may be?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I did this with my maternal great grandfather last year via DNA matches.

It took me about 3 months while I investigated a particular group which matched me and others in the group at the 3rd cousin level. I found that 2 of the group had trees which located a family in 2 particular areas which my great grandmother had been at the time of my grandfather's birth/conception. I also knew of first names and occupation. The matches were descendants of brothers of the target person.

It took me that length of time because I carried out the usual paper trails, etc.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 18:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, it should help. I have a great grandfather whose paper trail is inconsistent and who has most likely changed his name as an adult. DNA has now helped me to narrow down a family group that he belongs to. Placing him within the group is proving time consuming though as I am working with common names in the mill towns of Lancashire and building intersecting trees for the relevant matches is not easy. Getting close though. I have a working theory for who he may really have been and now just need some more matches to support or disprove that theory.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Bainbridge, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Coxon, Davis, Dow, Farside, Garden, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Johnson, Laidler, Mason, Miller, Milne, Moreis, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Young

Offline Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 18:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, please give it a go.

After searching for over fifty years (originally started by my father), we have in the last two weeks found out that my paternal great grandfather (who said he was born in Scotland in three census), was actually born in Wales, then left as a teenager, moved to London and took a new surname !

Without a DNA test, we would never have been able to find out any of his previous life or family.

Al & Al
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Buss (Kent), D'Alton, Hales (Kent), Mackie (Guernsey), Rabjohns (Devon), Roberts (Norfolk), Roser (Kent), Stevens (Middlesex), Townshend (Norfolk), Weatherburn, Whiddett (Kent), Young (Kent)