Author Topic: Ordering birth certificate for common surname  (Read 2869 times)

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ordering birth certificate for common surname
« on: Wednesday 01 May 19 19:21 BST (UK) »
In order for me to establish the identity of my x2 great grandfather's mother, I really need to purchase his birth certificate. I have a potential name for his mother but I have a suspicion she may actually have been his stepmother. I know his father's name and occupation, however.

The only problem is that I'm looking for a Jones birth in Wales and there's far too many options, even though I have a vague idea about his year of birth, give or take a few years, as well as the registration district. Any ideas about how to narrow things down besides buying a certificate one by one?  :-\

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ordering birth certificate for common surname
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 21:05 BST (UK) »
GRO will do a search

Lyou are unable to trace or do not have the index reference you may still apply online for any event which took place on or after 1st July 1837 to 6 months from the current date (for marriages this period is extended to 18 months) provided you have sufficient information to identify the entry. A 3 year search for the index reference will be carried out. You should supply the exact date of event if you have it. If you don't have the exact date, enter 01/01/YYYY and we will search the specified year and one year either side. If you do not provide an index reference number, your application will take up to 15 working days to process. There is a separate policy for events which have taken place in the last 50 years and full identifying information must be provided (see Q7 under "Important information on delivery times and policies.")   

I think if you gave all the information you believe will be on it they might find it.  I can’t see if there is a further cost for this.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 21:06 BST (UK) »
If the census shows siblings then try to find a set of birth records with consistent mother's maiden name that fit the names on the census.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 22:25 BST (UK) »
If you have a name, birth location and a possible mother’s maiden name you should be able to put the info into the GRO website, work through potential years (assuming he was born between 1837 and 1918) and see if anything logical comes up.

I can sympathise with your plight, I’ve been looking for my own GGF, Henry Roberts, born circa. 1862 in either Liverpool or Wales.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 23:04 BST (UK) »
With this info you will certainly get an answer, but unless you know something about the place of birth you may never be sure it is the right person.  Not only were there plenty of Joneses in Wales, the Welsh were mostly not very adventurous in choosing first names.  Your chances improve greatly if there was a second name, or the birth was in a small village.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 May 19 12:10 BST (UK) »

GRO will do a search

Lyou are unable to trace or do not have the index reference you may still apply online for any event which took place on or after 1st July 1837 to 6 months from the current date (for marriages this period is extended to 18 months) provided you have sufficient information to identify the entry. A 3 year search for the index reference will be carried out. You should supply the exact date of event if you have it. If you don't have the exact date, enter 01/01/YYYY and we will search the specified year and one year either side. If you do not provide an index reference number, your application will take up to 15 working days to process. There is a separate policy for events which have taken place in the last 50 years and full identifying information must be provided (see Q7 under "Important information on delivery times and policies.")   

I think if you gave all the information you believe will be on it they might find it.  I can’t see if there is a further cost for this.

Thank you all  :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 May 19 12:19 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for a Baptism on FreeREG or Familysearch.Org?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 May 19 12:20 BST (UK) »
Where/when was he born according to a definite Census you have for him?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 May 19 12:37 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for a death for his mother and then a re-marriage?
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk