Author Topic: Passenger Lists from/to Bombay/Aden 1885-1887  (Read 120 times)

Offline Charlie24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passenger Lists from/to Bombay/Aden 1885-1887
« on: Thursday 02 May 19 07:36 BST (UK) »
I have looked through (& clicked on) most of the links on the RootsChat site (plus gone through Ancestry & FindMyPast records, but haven't found the relevant info.
FIBIS tells me that often passengers from India would disembark at Marseilles then travel by train & ferry to UK. But this doesn't seem to help me.
My search concerns my Great Grandmother Mary Martha Cottrell (nee Davies) born 1862.
Her husband was serving with the 2/15th in Bombay in 1885/6, and I'm almost sure he didn't come to UK with her (his service record seems to confirm this).
She brought her 4 children with her (last one born 1885 Bombay) and stayed with her parents in New Tredegar, South Wales. Two of her children attended the local infants school there for a year - August 1886 to Sept 1887.
She died in childbirth in Aden in September 1888, where her husband's regiment was stationed.
And so I am interested in finding her and perhaps her children on the passenger lists from Bombay 1885/6 and to Aden 1887/8.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger Lists from/to Bombay/Aden 1885-1887
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 May 19 17:13 BST (UK) »
Can you include the childrenís names and respective birth years?  Did she marry in Bombay?  You say she was born 1862 which means she had 4 children by the time she was 23yrs old (1885). Is that correct?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Charlie24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 May 19 00:53 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks for your response Carol.
She was married in Deesa in July 1879 - her husband (my G/GFather) was Charles Wilson Cottrell (born Feb 1854 Dalston Middlesex). He was Colour Sergeant in July 1881.
Her father John Davies (born 1832 Llanboidy) was in the same regiment (2/15th)
The regiment went to the 2nd Afghan war from March to December 1880.
Their children were: Charles John (b.July 1880 Deesa), William Thomas (my G/father, b. Jan 1882 Poona), Mary Ann (b. Jan 1884 Colaba, Bombay) and Herbert John (b.Nov. 1885 Colaba).
Her father was invalided out & returned to Wales May 1881.
I wonder if she returned to Wales perhaps to avoid another pregnancy? Or perhaps because of her father's ill health? (He died in 1892/3)
If husband came with her - would it have been recorded on his service record?
The regiment transferred  to Aden in Feb 1888, then back to Sheffield in Nov. 1888.
I wonder if she was allowed a passage on a troop ship going to/ coming back from UK? With 4 children but no husband with her?
Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated.
Regards
Charlie

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 May 19 01:49 BST (UK) »
I canít find anything on the incoming passenger records and outgoing ones only start from 1890.  I have also tried using each of the childrenís names but no entry found. 

Military records often include details of periods of leave but I suspect she travelled without her husband given the length of time she appears to have been in Wales.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Charlie24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 May 19 02:03 BST (UK) »
Again, many thanks for your response Carol.
Regards
Charlie