Author Topic: Passenger Lists from/to Bombay/Aden 1885-1887  (Read 411 times)

Offline Charlie24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passenger Lists from/to Bombay/Aden 1885-1887
« on: Thursday 02 May 19 07:36 BST (UK) »
I have looked through (& clicked on) most of the links on the RootsChat site (plus gone through Ancestry & FindMyPast records, but haven't found the relevant info.
FIBIS tells me that often passengers from India would disembark at Marseilles then travel by train & ferry to UK. But this doesn't seem to help me.
My search concerns my Great Grandmother Mary Martha Cottrell (nee Davies) born 1862.
Her husband was serving with the 2/15th in Bombay in 1885/6, and I'm almost sure he didn't come to UK with her (his service record seems to confirm this).
She brought her 4 children with her (last one born 1885 Bombay) and stayed with her parents in New Tredegar, South Wales. Two of her children attended the local infants school there for a year - August 1886 to Sept 1887.
She died in childbirth in Aden in September 1888, where her husband's regiment was stationed.
And so I am interested in finding her and perhaps her children on the passenger lists from Bombay 1885/6 and to Aden 1887/8.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger Lists from/to Bombay/Aden 1885-1887
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 May 19 17:13 BST (UK) »
Can you include the children’s names and respective birth years?  Did she marry in Bombay?  You say she was born 1862 which means she had 4 children by the time she was 23yrs old (1885). Is that correct?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Charlie24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 May 19 00:53 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks for your response Carol.
She was married in Deesa in July 1879 - her husband (my G/GFather) was Charles Wilson Cottrell (born Feb 1854 Dalston Middlesex). He was Colour Sergeant in July 1881.
Her father John Davies (born 1832 Llanboidy) was in the same regiment (2/15th)
The regiment went to the 2nd Afghan war from March to December 1880.
Their children were: Charles John (b.July 1880 Deesa), William Thomas (my G/father, b. Jan 1882 Poona), Mary Ann (b. Jan 1884 Colaba, Bombay) and Herbert John (b.Nov. 1885 Colaba).
Her father was invalided out & returned to Wales May 1881.
I wonder if she returned to Wales perhaps to avoid another pregnancy? Or perhaps because of her father's ill health? (He died in 1892/3)
If husband came with her - would it have been recorded on his service record?
The regiment transferred  to Aden in Feb 1888, then back to Sheffield in Nov. 1888.
I wonder if she was allowed a passage on a troop ship going to/ coming back from UK? With 4 children but no husband with her?
Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated.
Regards
Charlie

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 May 19 01:49 BST (UK) »
I can’t find anything on the incoming passenger records and outgoing ones only start from 1890.  I have also tried using each of the children’s names but no entry found. 

Military records often include details of periods of leave but I suspect she travelled without her husband given the length of time she appears to have been in Wales.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Charlie24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 May 19 02:03 BST (UK) »
Again, many thanks for your response Carol.
Regards
Charlie