Author Topic: Family Tree Maker 2017  (Read 5702 times)

Offline barkbythorpe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Tree Maker 2017
« on: Thursday 02 May 19 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have been using McKieve Family Tree Maker software for a number of years and been happy with the product for my family history research. The only downside I think is that it syncs with Ancestry online tree which is not a problem but you cant access the media files such as documents and pictures etc without an Ancestry subscription which limits the information you can share with family and friends? Sharing gedcoms to other online trees is much the same with only text being shared! My question is, does anybody know if Family Tree Maker data exports (not gedcoms) are supported by any other online trees. I know its possible to manually export items to other trees but this is very time consuming

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree Maker 2017
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have been using McKieve Family Tree Maker software for a number of years and been happy with the product for my family history research. The only downside I think is that it syncs with Ancestry online tree which is not a problem but you cant access the media files such as documents and pictures etc without an Ancestry subscription which limits the information you can share with family and friends? Sharing gedcoms to other online trees is much the same with only text being shared! My question is, does anybody know if Family Tree Maker data exports (not gedcoms) are supported by any other online trees. I know its possible to manually export items to other trees but this is very time consuming

Hi barkbythorp, 

My understanding is, no. 

FTM was written to sync with Ancestry and no other. At least that is what  McKieve say and they should know. 

Sorry 

Regards 

Chas

Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline barkbythorpe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 12:30 BST (UK) »
thanks for that
I thought as much but decided to ask the question in case I was missing something
your response much appreciated

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 15:39 BST (UK) »
Try this, download a document from Ancestry and save to your PC. I have a master folder called 'Copy documents' and then sub-folders for baptisms, marriages, wills, etc.

Find the individual in FTM, click on the person tab and then click the media tab an the bottom of the page. You can then add new media to the person.

In the main media screen you can allocate media to groups, eg baptisms, marriages, wills, etc. Some already exist but you can create more.

What I cannot work out is how to link a document to an event starting in FTM and how anyone would know that a document is linked to a person in the Ancestry tree, mine is private so not easy to test.

Edward

Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 15:55 BST (UK) »
It seems that you can add media to a source citation.

All from FTM, so in theory, create a new source, eg baptism of Fred Bloggs.

Add the media the source, create the event and add the source to the event.

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Offline barkbythorpe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 18:22 BST (UK) »
Cheers for that Edward
Correct me if Im wrong? Am I correct in thinking that Ancestry ONLINE will not show the media without a subscription if it thinks its been obtained through them? Am I also correct in thinking that what we are trying to do here is fool it into thinking the media has been sourced from elsewhere (eg FindMyPast or some other alternative source) in which case the media files will be displayed in the ONLINE tree?
I was originally thinking more along the lines of starting up an alternative ONLINE tree, importing the gedcom and then manually adding all the media but if its a large tree as mine its quite a task but your method is certainly worth a thought!

Many thanks

Regards

Mick

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 18:50 BST (UK) »
I would not be surprised with your suggestion. I have data & sources from all over the place and have never linked Ancestry ones direct to my tree, theirs (like others) are all added manually.

I tried adding a modifying a couple of sources with images, synchronised and now waiting for Ancestry to catch up.

I think you will have to try different methods to find out what will work best for you & your family.

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Offline barkbythorpe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 19:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input Edward
I really do appreciate it and will consider your suggestions
MANY THANKS AGAIN
I will also await any further suggestions then have a think how to progress
I really do like FTM 2017 as a stand alone piece of software for assembling FAMILY HISTORY research and syncing to ANCESTRY ONLINE is great but its a bit of a sprat to catch a mackeral in that for the Ancestry ONLINE tree to be of any use in sharing your research with family and friends you need an Ancestry subscription which isn't cheap?

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 11:34 BST (UK) »
 I have received a letter from Family Tree Maker(McKeiv) re their latest updated version-2019-limited opportunity to update from 2017 to 2019 for $29 has anyone posted on this anywhere on rootschat, ,I cannot find anything?

Kim