Author Topic: Looking for any info on Henry Mallows and Rosa (Christmas) Mallows  (Read 443 times)

Offline WittTree

• RootsChat Extra
  • 2 of my lovely assistants: Keegan and Walther
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for any info on Henry Mallows and Rosa (Christmas) Mallows
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 May 19 20:03 BST (UK) »
The best hypothesis I can come up with for Henry at the moment is that he was an illegitimate son of Susanna(h) Mallows, born 1873 and baptised 25 Jan 1874 Lambeth to parents Thomas and Mary Ann Louisa Mallows. 

In 1901 Henry is with uncle William Mallows (Susannah’s brother) in Lambeth - I can’t see Susannah in 1901 but she is in service (as Susan Mallows) in Kensington 10 years later.

You would need Henry’s birth certificate to see whether this is on the right track.

It can be ordered from the GRO Online using these reference details:

Henry John Mallows, Dec qtr 1897 Lambeth, vol 1d p331.

This could definitely match.  I have been in contact with someone in the U.S., listed as my 3rd - 5th cousin, who has mention of a Mallows in her tree. 
Her quote:  "my Grandfather Thomas William Bowley born in Westminster, married a Mary Ann Mallows born 1865 in Lambeth. I do not know if she had any siblings but I did find her aged about 6 years on the 1871 Census."

Christmas - Mallows - Serum/Sorum - Dillenschneider - Dunn - Feucht - Hermundson - LeMay - Rank - Riederer - Seidl - Thompson - Witt - Zillyette

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 May 19 20:21 BST (UK) »
23rd December 1865 Mary Ann Maria Mallows parents Thomas and Mary Ann Louisa address George Place occ. Carman

Baptised St Mary Lambeth.
Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 May 19 20:23 BST (UK) »
Marriage St,Thomas Lambeth 23 December 1888

Mary Ann Maria Mallows
23rd December 1865 Mary Ann Maria Mallows parents Thomas and Mary Ann Louisa address George Place occ. Carman

Baptised St Mary Lambeth.
Jennifer

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 May 19 20:30 BST (UK) »
1881 census 12 St George’s Place Lambeth

Thomas Mallows 42 carman born Norfolk
M A 43 born Middlesex
James 18 carman
MA 16 book folder
William 14 shop boy
Susannah 7
John 5
Christopher 2
George 4 months. All children born Lambeth

Jennifer

Offline WittTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 May 19 20:47 BST (UK) »
1881 census 12 St George’s Place Lambeth

Thomas Mallows 42 carman born Norfolk
M A 43 born Middlesex
James 18 carman
MA 16 book folder
William 14 shop boy
Susannah 7
John 5
Christopher 2
George 4 months. All children born Lambeth

Jennifer

Wow.  That's so cool.  Thanks!  The younger Mary Ann  b.1965 certainly seems to be the one quoted by my distant cousin.  And it's great to finally see this family branch going somewhere.   
Christmas - Mallows - Serum/Sorum - Dillenschneider - Dunn - Feucht - Hermundson - LeMay - Rank - Riederer - Seidl - Thompson - Witt - Zillyette

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 May 19 22:39 BST (UK) »
Henry Mallows who made a youthful marriage to Ellen Jessie Eyres in 1913 was in fact your Henry’s first cousin - born 1895, son of James David Mallows b 1863 who in turn was a son of Thomas and Mary Ann Louisa Mallows.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline WittTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 May 19 01:38 BST (UK) »
Henry Mallows who made a youthful marriage to Ellen Jessie Eyres in 1913 was in fact your Henry’s first cousin - born 1895, son of James David Mallows b 1863 who in turn was a son of Thomas and Mary Ann Louisa Mallows.

I have so much to learn.   :)     My Norwegian part of the tree was easy.  The German side is coming along slowly.   But the English section had me stumped.  Many thanks.

Offline WittTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 May 19 03:16 BST (UK) »
Rosa Lilian Christmas, mother’s maiden name Harrall, birth reg Dec qtr 1909 Croydon 2a 320a.

By the looks of it she was born 30 October 1909 and baptised 15 November 1909 (as Rosie Lilian Christmas) at Thornton Heath, Surrey.

Parents: John (a labourer), and Sarah Elizabeth, of 98 Bensham Grove.

Welcome for me as well

There is an incoming passenger list below for a Rosa L Mallows from USA which confirms the birth date that avm228 found - Rosa was also travelling with a 5 year old boy with the same surname

Rosa L Mallows
Arrival Age:    46
Birth Date:    30 Oct 1909
Port of Departure:    New York, New York, United States
Arrival Date:    16 Oct 1956
Port of Arrival:    Southampton, England
Ship Name:    United States
Shipping Line:    United States Line

Kay

This was interesting... I wasn't aware that Grandma Kathleen's mother had come to the U.S.  I was under the impression that Kathleen didn't get to see her family too often.  Kathleen married Grandpa (Wartime marriage) in 1944 at age 16, traveled to the U.S. in 1946 and gave birth to my mother.  When my mother was 3 years old, Kathleen took her with to Reading for 3 - 4 months.... where my Uncle Richard was born.  They returned to the U.S. in June 1950.  The third/final child was born in 1959 in the U.S. 

This is becoming one of my favorite sites.  :)  I honestly didn't expect the response I have gotten so far....

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 May 19 06:59 BST (UK) »
It is a brilliant site and I love your furry assistants ;D

I think this might be Susannah Mallows  - admitted to Lambeth Workhouse with her was son Charles Malllows age 5 months  She was admitted from the Renfrew Road Workhouse and her brother is listed as Wm of 10 Tower St and I see your Susanah's son Henry was living at the address with uncle William and family in 1901   Looks like son Charles dies later in 1902

Susan Mallows
Admission Age:    27
Record Type: Admission
Admission Date: 31 Jul 1902  Lambeth, London

Kay