Author Topic: Looking for any info on Henry Mallows and Rosa (Christmas) Mallows  (Read 3200 times)

Offline WittTree

• RootsChat Extra
  • 2 of my lovely assistants: Keegan and Walther
    • View Profile
Looking for any info on Henry Mallows and Rosa (Christmas) Mallows
« on: Friday 03 May 19 03:05 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I am fairly new to Family Tree searches and been working on MyHeritage.com and FamilySearch.org.  I am having trouble advancing my maternal grandmother's line.  Her name was Kathleen (Mallows) Serum 1928 - 2003.  Her parents (in England) were Henry John Mallows 1887 - 1936 and Rosa (Christmas) Mallows 1909 - 1968.   There seems to be so many same or similar names in my searches.... and no existing trees (that I have found) containing the information.  This may be a long shot, but I'm hoping that perhaps someone may have seen the names on a tree or perhaps have relatives with these names.  Any information would be most helpful.  Thank you in advance.
Christmas - Mallows - Serum/Sorum - Dillenschneider - Dunn - Feucht - Hermundson - LeMay - Rank - Riederer - Seidl - Thompson - Witt - Zillyette

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for any info on Henry Mallows and Rosa (Christmas) Mallows
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 May 19 08:20 BST (UK) »
Welcome :)

Start with their marriage: Henry J Mallows married Rose L Christmas, Jun qtr 1927 Croydon 2a 1022 - from www.freebmd.org.uk.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 May 19 08:25 BST (UK) »
Rosa Lilian Christmas, mother’s maiden name Harrall, birth reg Dec qtr 1909 Croydon 2a 320a.

By the looks of it she was born 30 October 1909 and baptised 15 November 1909 (as Rosie Lilian Christmas) at Thornton Heath, Surrey.

Parents: John (a labourer), and Sarah Elizabeth, of 98 Bensham Grove.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 May 19 08:34 BST (UK) »
Rosa and Henry Mallows appear to have had 9 children in England, 1928-1951.  She died aged 58, Sep qtr 1968 Thanet.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 May 19 08:45 BST (UK) »
Rosa was a relatively late child for her parents, who had married (as John Christmas and Sarah Elizabeth Harral), Dec qtr 1890 Edmonton 3a 545.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 May 19 09:06 BST (UK) »
Henry John Mallows was born not in 1887, as you have it, but on 30 September 1897.  Birth registered in Lambeth district, Dec qtr 1897 with no separate mother’s maiden name, suggesting he was born out of wedlock.

His death was registered Dec qtr 1986 in Reading & Wokingham, Berkshire, an area where he and Rosa and their family had spent many years.

There is a London school record for a Henry John Mallows born 30 September 1897, admitted to Battersea Park Rd school on 2 February 1903.  Home address: 62 Longhedge St.  No parental details unfortunately.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 May 19 10:11 BST (UK) »
Rosa Lilian Christmas, mother’s maiden name Harrall, birth reg Dec qtr 1909 Croydon 2a 320a.

By the looks of it she was born 30 October 1909 and baptised 15 November 1909 (as Rosie Lilian Christmas) at Thornton Heath, Surrey.

Parents: John (a labourer), and Sarah Elizabeth, of 98 Bensham Grove.

Welcome for me as well

There is an incoming passenger list below for a Rosa L Mallows from USA which confirms the birth date that avm228 found - Rosa was also travelling with a 5 year old boy with the same surname

Rosa L Mallows
Arrival Age:    46
Birth Date:    30 Oct 1909
Port of Departure:    New York, New York, United States
Arrival Date:    16 Oct 1956
Port of Arrival:    Southampton, England
Ship Name:    United States
Shipping Line:    United States Line

Kay

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 May 19 10:20 BST (UK) »
The best hypothesis I can come up with for Henry at the moment is that he was an illegitimate son of Susanna(h) Mallows, born 1873 and baptised 25 Jan 1874 Lambeth to parents Thomas and Mary Ann Louisa Mallows. 

In 1901 Henry is with uncle William Mallows (Susannah’s brother) in Lambeth - I can’t see Susannah in 1901 but she is in service (as Susan Mallows) in Kensington 10 years later.

You would need Henry’s birth certificate to see whether this is on the right track.

It can be ordered from the GRO Online using these reference details:

Henry John Mallows, Dec qtr 1897 Lambeth, vol 1d p331.

Offline WittTree

• RootsChat Extra
  • 2 of my lovely assistants: Keegan and Walther
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 May 19 18:17 BST (UK) »
Gosh, it looks like I picked the right forum.  Thanks for all the info.  I always seemed to get thrown off by the number of people with the same last names and similar first names (i.e. so many "Rose" names). 

I have a lot of backtracking (and deleting) to do.  I have different parents for Henry... which of course leads to a different family.  And his death in 1936 doesn't match... the Dec 1986 death matches better as Grandma (Kathleen) was from Reading. 

I actually had Henry first married to Ellen J (Eyres) Mallows in 1913 Lambeth.   Then married in 1927 to Rosa.  But couldn't find a death date for Eyres, so I may be incorrect on there being a first wife.

Thanks again for giving me a fresh start on this.  I never thought to ask Grandma about her family years ago and was fairly young when some of her family came to visit. 
Christmas - Mallows - Serum/Sorum - Dillenschneider - Dunn - Feucht - Hermundson - LeMay - Rank - Riederer - Seidl - Thompson - Witt - Zillyette