Author Topic: Looking for any info on Henry Mallows and Rosa (Christmas) Mallows  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for any info on Henry Mallows and Rosa (Christmas) Mallows
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 May 19 07:26 BST (UK) »
I should have clarified that Susan and child were admitted to the Infirmary of the Workhouse in 1902 and just Susan was discharged on 21 Nov 1902.   The record is on Anc...try

Kay

Offline WittTree

• RootsChat Extra
  • 2 of my lovely assistants: Keegan and Walther
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 May 19 04:49 BST (UK) »
It is a brilliant site and I love your furry assistants ;D

I think this might be Susannah Mallows  - admitted to Lambeth Workhouse with her was son Charles Malllows age 5 months  She was admitted from the Renfrew Road Workhouse and her brother is listed as Wm of 10 Tower St and I see your Susanah's son Henry was living at the address with uncle William and family in 1901   Looks like son Charles dies later in 1902

Susan Mallows
Admission Age:    27
Record Type: Admission
Admission Date: 31 Jul 1902  Lambeth, London

Kay

That is quite the handsome and relaxed avatar you have....  :)

I googled "Workhouses"... uuhhh, sounds rather depressing.  We had similar facilities in the States... everyone grouped together... ill or not.  I also saw that London had a smallpox epidemic from the end of 1901 into 1902.   Wonder if they went there for illness... or perhaps fell ill while housed?

I must ask... is research a hobby or profession for you?  The multitude of info and details you have dug up would've taken me months.... if I found it at all.   I am much appreciative of your efforts.  The "assistants" also send their thanks.
Christmas - Mallows - Serum/Sorum - Dillenschneider - Dunn - Feucht - Hermundson - LeMay - Rank - Riederer - Seidl - Thompson - Witt - Zillyette

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 May 19 06:15 BST (UK) »
I would think Susan and son were transferred to the infirmary because of illness and possibly of the son who appears to have died later in the year.   

Family history is a hobby for me and I think most other people on the Roots but a  very absorbing hobby and helped by having many different minds to puzzle over problems

My avatar Bix sends to thanks for your kind comments and asks me to pass on to your assistants a link to a thread on Roots for our purring friends https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=810210.0  ;D

Kay

Offline WittTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 May 19 20:00 BST (UK) »
Well, a heartfelt thanks to avm228, Kay99, and jennifer c.... I have now advanced the Mallows line 3 generations, gotten a great start on the Christmas line.... AND apparently added to numerous other trees on MyHeritage (apparently others were stuck in the same place).  It was great to see all the alerts pop up as soon as I entered the correct info.

And now more of my work time is going to be spent perusing this site.  :)

You guys are awesome!
Christmas - Mallows - Serum/Sorum - Dillenschneider - Dunn - Feucht - Hermundson - LeMay - Rank - Riederer - Seidl - Thompson - Witt - Zillyette

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 May 19 20:20 BST (UK) »
Beware - Rootschat is addictive  :D

Charles “Mallow” was discharged “dead” from the workhouse infirmary on 14 November 1902, aged 7mo*.  Mother: “Susan, in infirmary”.  The baby received a parish burial.

*This is what the record says - but it’s an underestimate; he was 6mo old upon admission in July.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 May 19 21:42 BST (UK) »
Henry is in the North Surrey District School, Anerley  (a chidlren's home/poor law school) in 1911

He seems to get into the system in 1907 (indexed as Henry i Mallows)

Birth Date:    13 Sep 1898  (as recorded)
Admission Date:    19 Jan 1907
Intermediate School Swaffield Road, Wandsworth

Defintely him ,as the name Rachel Mallows in underneath (his aunt)

Offline WittTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 May 19 23:05 BST (UK) »
Beware - Rootschat is addictive  :D

I originally bought two DNA kits for my boyfriend and I.... he was interested in his "mysterious" family history.  Turns out his German side is actually French Canadian and not mysterious at all, so he quickly lost interest.  I, however, realized how little I knew about my family history and got hooked.  It also brought up a mystery of a "cousin" who has contacted me to say she's adopted and wants to know about her/our family.  I've narrowed down a section of the family she belongs to, but don't have enough info. to narrow down the related parent (still working on this one). 

Add in the 1880s farmhouse we acquired with undocumented history and an unexplored backyard..... and I think I've been trapped by history.  :)    It looks like Rootschat will fuel that even more.

Offline WittTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 May 19 23:36 BST (UK) »
Henry is in the North Surrey District School, Anerley  (a chidlren's home/poor law school) in 1911

He seems to get into the system in 1907 (indexed as Henry i Mallows)

Birth Date:    13 Sep 1898  (as recorded)
Admission Date:    19 Jan 1907
Intermediate School Swaffield Road, Wandsworth

Defintely him ,as the name Rachel Mallows in underneath (his aunt)

It definitely appears that he stayed in the system and Susanna didn't regain custody.  Perhaps there was a reason she couldn't...

Thanks for the additional info!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 06 May 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
Just come across a Mr H Mallows of 78 Henley St, Battersea aged 25 going to Australia as a farm labourer in 1923

Quick check on the address shows this is William and Rachel's home.

Haven't found him coming back yet