Author Topic: Harry Morris Born 12 September 1886  (Read 5145 times)

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Morris Born 12 September 1886
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie, Thank you again.. After looking again I have to agree with your eye for detail and I would say it is a match on your Transcription... Eagle eyes u are..
Thank you sincerely and it is all of value..
Best regards
Scott 

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 10:54 BST (UK) »
Dictionary of Occupational Terms

Film Renter

film hiring agent ; film renter
acquires, by purchase or arrangement, right to hire a cinematograph proprietor's film; arranges trade shows of new films (sometimes done by producer (880) (q.v.)); lets films on hire; agrees terms, conditions and itinerary.

http://doot.spub.co.uk/idx.php?letter=F

A quick search of contemporary newspapers reveals many references to film renters.
Great Link by the way on occupations .. Thank u

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 10:39 BST (UK) »
An update on Harry
Confirmed that Harry married Ethel Cohen in 1932
Listed in marriage cert that he was a widower age 45 and Ethel was a spinster age 23
I also confirm he died in 1940 in the Royal infirmary in Manchester
Confirming his profession as listed throughout as a Film Renter traveller..

Interesting I picked up his brother Lazarus Morris death cert from 1961 and he was listed as a profession as Manager Film Distributors .. Informant of Lazarus was his Niece J.N. Seal.. I wonder if the brothers had worked together .. Lazarus was known as Leslie

Would be grateful for any further assistance as to potential previous marriage for Harry Morris that was before 1932

Note - It may be possible that Harry Morris covered a little time in Wakefield prison under the Bastardy Law .. This is a fair possible Committed offence in Sheffield and listed as a Tailor .. He had been previously listed in census as a Tailors apprentice and was living in Sheffield at abt this time .. Is there any way to get further information from a register from a prison? 

Thanks guys
Regards
Scott 

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 18 May 19 05:25 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help narrow down another marriage ?
In the GRO uk site for indexes is there a way to check an index for marriage ? I use help from ancestry but really would be keen to understand the GRO site better if a way of checking is available? Looking for an index that lists both couples names... not so user friendly or maybe my understanding is not so good and there is a smarter way to navigate index via ancestry ? Any advice would be very welcome ..
I am looking for another marriage of Harry Morris based on the marriage cert for Harry Morris and Ethel Cohen .. Harry is mentioned as a widower in the 1932 cert ...Jewish wedding 
He has been a traveller listed as a film renter... his brother Lazarus Morris who died in Cardiff 1961 is listed as a film distributor .. I would suspect Harry would have seen a Jewish wedding consistent with his second marriage .. Harry’s father is Benjamin Morris .... Harry born in 1886 Cheltenham ..

Thanks team
Regards
Scott Morland
Nz

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 05:23 BST (UK) »
Another throw of the dice.
I have narrowed Harry down with a lot of help with this forum that I am very grateful for.
I suspect that I am directly related to Harry for specific reasons. DNA has been a main reason as I have identified without doubt to his siblings with myself and other family members of mine solid link to three of Harrys sisters descendants .. This was a fantastic link up and helping me establish the Morris family that Harry identifies to.
Previous posts of his marriage to Ethel in 1932 and having that marriage cert is of great value. Noting that he is a widower in that marriage, I am very keen to identify any other marriage for Harry and have to say I am stumped at this moment.
Harry Morris was born on 12 September 1886 to Sarah Kadish (Kadysz), age 25, and Benjamin Benas (Hebrew name) Morris (Mendel (Mendelson)), age 24.

Birth - 12 Sep 1886 • Cheetham, Manchester, Lancashire, England
He married Ethel Cohen in 1932 in Salford, Lancashire. In 1939 he is living in Salford with Ethel and her parents Jane and Edward Cohen .. Noted as a Traveller / Film Renter
He died on 14 September 1940 in Manchester, Lancashire, at the age of 54.

It is possible that Harry was in Wakefield Prison in 1908 under the bastardy Law.. I wonder how you can see further info if at all of this record for confirming if this may have in fact been Harry? any advice guys.

As Harry was a traveller it may be that he could have been in Scotland at some moments in time. This is very possible at around the 1920 / 1921 period with the birth of my Gran. As he was a traveller this is a fit.

Specifically I am really trying to understand when he was married previously and asking again among the experienced Genealogists in among you of any help to home in on a vital clue I would be extremely grateful.

Fingers crossed

Thank you all for the support

Regards
Scott Morland
NZ

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 06:11 BST (UK) »
Have you tried FreeBMD for a Marriage.
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

This may help. Just click on search and away you go.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 08:00 BST (UK) »
Where have you found the information on Wakefield Prison
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie, nice to hear from you..
Its not a definite but a possible
Listed on Ancestry under the West Yorkshire Prison records (1801 - 1914) date of 28th Sept 1908 (Expiry of sentence)

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 10:06 BST (UK) »
Have you tried FreeBMD for a Marriage.
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

This may help. Just click on search and away you go.

Carol

Thanks Carol