Author Topic: Researching Adam Robertson Fraser Sailed on Melita to Quebec 1925.  (Read 3571 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Researching Adam Robertson Fraser Sailed on Melita to Quebec 1925.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 May 19 11:48 BST (UK) »

There were a number of Hugh Fraser born about 1882 in Scotland living in Canada, so it doesn't necessarily mean that paticular memorial is your Hugh. It would need more proof.

Scotlands People does show a marriage of a Hugh Alexander Fraser to a Mary Gunn in Ardersier 1905  ???  Possible.

Hugh Alexander Fraser - Mary Gunn - 1905 - 091/A 4 - Ardersier

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 May 19 11:49 BST (UK) »
Dear Sandra, The Grand Niece has a 1911 Census Record for Hugh Alex Fraser at New Century Hotel, 133 Holm Street, Glasgow working as a Railway Clerk. So his departure to Canada would be after that date. There could have been a Family dispute over the "marriage" if it was in Scotland as they were a "very close knit" family as I know of them having married into the Fraser Family. My more modern generation would have NO problems in accepting his choice of life long partner.

We thought that it was Adam Robertson Fraser that was awarded the Military Cross for gallantry in 1918 but we are getting the transcript to "verify" this point.

Many thanks, nw_whiskers
Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 May 19 12:00 BST (UK) »
Dear Sandra, Wow, we are in "deep shock" over the marriage in Ardersier as none of us knew about that one but we will put maximum effort into working on that information. Believe it or not, I lived a few miles from Ardersier, Inverness, Scotland for many years and drove past there a few days ago. The Grand Niece who has worked on the Fraser Family Tree for almost 40 years is going to be in turmoil over the Gunn revelation and will burn the midnight oil over it.

I have learned a lot in the last three hours!

Many thanks, nw_whiskers

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 May 19 12:03 BST (UK) »
Again, it is only a possible - purchase of the marriage certificate would prove one way or another.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 May 19 12:27 BST (UK) »
Dear All, Yes, I fully agree with your comments so I will need to get my credit card out for the Scotlands People web site after I have recovered from the "shock and surprise". I knew James Shaw Fraser a lot better than the other ones of his generation that I met. The James Shaw Fraser Family Headstone is at Ardersier in beautiful White Marble (impressive !) plus several others in that small area of Scotland.

It will take us a few days for us to sort ourselves out with the results of this post.

Yes, we know about the "strict privacy" laws in Canada and respect them.

Again many thanks for your insight, expertise and resources, nw_whiskers

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 May 19 14:27 BST (UK) »
Dear All, Sadly the marriage at Ardersier is another Hugh Fraser in the Seaforth Highlanders with parents James Fraser, Sawmiller and Mary Fraser nee Gunn so it is NOT the one we were looking for. Yes, Fort George is nearby which explains the military connection.

Yes, we appreciate the effort that went in to it and we are following up on the other posts on the subject.

Hugh Fraser's father was James Shaw Fraser, Station Master.

Many thanks, nw_whiskers

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 May 19 17:44 BST (UK) »

Neither brother seems to show up on voters lists in Canada.  Of course privacy is strict, no BMD records to search.
There is a burial of a Hugh Alexander Fraser at Les Jardins Commémoratifs Lakeview Memorial Gardens (Pointe-Claire) - Montreal Quebec. Born 1882 - passed away 1962 but no further information at moment to positively identify him.
The inscription is plainly - FRASER In loving memory of Hugh Alexander Fraser 1882 - 1962.  ???

Sandra

Perhaps nw whiskers could contact the cemetery and get a date of death/date of burial etc.  There might be an obituary in the Montreal Gazette - which is available online through the Google news archive.  These papers aren't indexed, so you have to go to the date you want and look through it to find the obits.  If you have a date of death/date of burial, this will narrow your search to just a few days/issues of the Gazette.

https://news.google.ca/newspapers?nid=Fr8DH2VBP9sC

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 May 19 18:00 BST (UK) »
Seeing a Hugh A Fraser at 707 Galt Av, Montreal.  Checked 1950, 1958 and 1960 Montreal Directories

http://bibnum2.banq.qc.ca/bna/lovell/index.html

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 May 19 18:08 BST (UK) »
1929-30 Montreal directory has a Hugh A Fraser, employee of the CNR (railroad), living at 220 First Avenue, Verdun

1940 Montreal directory has Hugh A Fraser, clerk CNR, 396 Moffatt Av, Verdun

Note - the 707 Galt Ave address in the 1950s directories has a (V) after it...likely Verdun, which is a part of Montreal.

RK