Author Topic: Uniform identification, if army could it be RIRifles?  (Read 509 times)

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Uniform identification, if army could it be RIRifles?
« on: Friday 03 May 19 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hello all, family story is that my great-uncle was serving with the Royal Irish Rifles in 1929. I then came across a family group photo & there's this chap in uniform, but it doesn't look very much like army to me.  Any knowledgeable people on here have any ideas?  Regards, TonyR.
PS I don't have original photo, just a digital scan of it, and attached is cropped from it - I know it's not brilliant, but it's all I have.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform identification, if army could it be RIRifles?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 May 19 13:43 BST (UK) »
The Royal Irish Rifles became the Royal Ulster Rifles from 1 January 1921.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Ulster_Rifles

His tunic has a military style about it. But not sure he is serving in the forces whilst wearing it.
The long scarf does not look like regulation dress.
Was he in WW2? Was he a POW?

Can the whole photo be posted to compare the attire of each individual in the group?

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 May 19 13:49 BST (UK) »
The badge (left as we look at it) does resemble a type of military bandsman's badge. 

Google search "bandsman silver on rifle green badge" for comparison so army bandsman possible. (agree with Tony on the title).  Can't make out what is happening on the right of the photo with the second badge, is it on a cap or an arm - as Tony says, the more we see of the photo the better.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 May 19 17:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tony & Max - The man & woman either side of the chap in uniform are my Grandparents and in a letter dated 1929, Gran writes she has a boy in the “2nd Batt RIR”, hence the query. If chap in uniform is in RIR then he is their son & my great-uncle – there is no family memory of him serving in WW2 or as POW.  I’ve taken Gran’s ‘RIR’ as Royal Irish Rifles, but it becoming the Royal Ulster Rifles in 1921, is a bit of a problem.

Gran has linked arms with chap in uniform & it looks like he is holding his cap in his right hand.  His scarf reminds me of that sketch (maybe Morecambe & Wise) which had a pilot with his scarf sticking out 90% behind him, as if being blown by the wind as he flew along.  Family lived in Belfast till 1936, when they all (except my great-aunt, girl standing second right) moved to Birmingham, England.  Not sure if larger image will help, but here goes.

I’ve had a quick look at those badges, it does look like an army bandsman badge.  Regards, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 May 19 17:44 BST (UK) »
Grandmothers often use outdated terminology and to her the regiment had been and still was RIR probably, wouldn't set too much store by her description.

Between the wars is a difficult area. Only real way is to take the plunge and apply for his record using details of your great uncle if you have them.  Have you looked for Great War records in case he served then?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 May 19 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Max, perhaps I should have said earlier, the only potential chap I can think of to be Gran's 'boy in RIR' was born 1911, so too young for Great War.  Other boys were even younger and oldest one was in Royal Navy.  Agree, only way to find out is apply for his service records, will have to weigh up cost against definitely knowing.  Thanks for your interest & help.  Regards, TonyR