Author Topic: Albert Roberts  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Kellygr7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Roberts
« on: Friday 03 May 19 18:11 BST (UK) »
We are searching for Albert Roberts known in Cornwall as Bert. He was definitely in Cornwall in 1955/56 but is not believed to have been from the county. It was said he was from North Wales/Snowdonia region. Bert is believed to have died in his 40s in the mid 1960s but we do not know where. The rough dates we have are 1919/24 to 1963/66. We have so very little to go on it makes doing conventional searching difficult. We do however have one photo taken in the mid 50s in Truro. Does anyone recognise this man?

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Roberts
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 May 19 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Do you know if he married?

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 May 19 18:19 BST (UK) »

Offline Kellygr7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 May 19 18:32 BST (UK) »
Not even that much! We believe there may have been a family but that could have been parents rather than spouse.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 May 19 19:16 BST (UK) »
It seems entirely a guessing game with no obvious record matches.Could I ask the possible significance of this Albert Roberts?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 May 19 22:48 BST (UK) »
'Bert is believed to have died in his 40s in the mid 1960s '

He looks older than mid-40's in that photo?

How do you know his name was Albert if he was always called Bert?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 May 19 23:04 BST (UK) »
Have you looked on 1939, to see if he had already arrived in Cornwall?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 May 19 03:03 BST (UK) »
You say the photo was taken mid 1950's - I agree with chempat in that this does not look like a man in his 40's, more like his 50's to me!

That said, an Albert E Roberts bc.1900, d. Mar.1969 Truro - no one of this name/age in Truro in 1939.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 May 19 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
You say he was known as Bert.
He could be a Robert and not an Albert.
I made the mistake of automatically typing in the Christian name  Robert  in one of the papers instead of Albert. I always think of Bert's being Robert's because I knew a few Robert's that were Bert's.
Double barrel names are quite common in Wales, so don't rule out he was a Robert Robert's, unless you know for sure that he was an Albert.

Just to throw another scenario in too - it may be his middle name and not his Christian name. Both my own father and his brother have always gone by their middle names and in their pet form . They have never been known by their Christian names..( my hubby too- although he goes by his full middle name and not a pet form of his middle name unlike my father and uncle)

And another scenario - Bert could have been a pet form of his surname,  for instance instead of shouting " Hey Roberts change that barrel" -  " Hey Bert ,or Bertie change that barrel" ,sometimes names  stick.
Many of male friends  back  in Wales were known by their surnames ( their nicknames came from their surnames)

So unless you know for sure his first Christian name is  Albert, I am sorry to say but I think you may have some difficulty tracking him down in the BMDs.

Looking at your other posts , you say he was a barman and maybe died of a fall.
Your best bet is finding out the name of the pub that he worked at - you posted the name of what you think it maybe in one of your other posts.
You could also go through the obituaries in the local papers for that decade, which will take some time but may prove fruitful.

Is that the full photo and not a cropped photo? If it's cropped and there are other people in your photo - If you know who they are, maybe it would be easier to trace those and their descendants - one of them may know something.

Depending on how much you want to trace his death, you could also contact the local paper in Cornwall(  in the particular area where he was living) and take out a small ad with his picture in it asking. If anbody has information. You could also do the same in the area that you think he is from.

I think he could possibly be in 40s in the picture, he still has quite a bit of hair on top. Hard to say if he's in his 40s or 50s - some people can look quite old in their mid to late 40s. He could be 45 ish ( he looks very similar to my child's headmaster who is in his late 40s  .Maybe running my child's school made our headmaster age  ;D)

Hopefully someone will recognise him.
Kind regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u