Author Topic: Albert Roberts  (Read 345 times)

Online wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Roberts
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 May 19 09:00 BST (UK) »
As far as his age in the photo,although it is really not all that long ago,we can be decieved by photos of the time.People dressed and therefore looked somewhat older  at that time.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 May 19 09:06 BST (UK) »
I agree with WC. He looks in his 40s.

Maybe some Robert's were called Bert but I think that would be unusual as they're normally shortened to Bob. Bert, usually is a shortened form of Albert - e.g. King George VI was known as Bertie (real name Albert).

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 May 19 09:17 BST (UK) »
You say he was known as Bert.
He could be a Robert and not an Albert.

He could also be Herbert. My husband's late uncle was named Herbert, but invariably known to everyone as 'Bert'.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 May 19 09:30 BST (UK) »
My godfather was a Herbert but he was always known as Herb  :)

Could the diminutives be regional variations?

PS - I had an Uncle Bert, Uncle Bob and Uncle Herb
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 May 19 21:42 BST (UK) »
Kelly put:
'Albert Roberts known in Cornwall as Bert.'
So I was going with Albert until told differently.

'As far as his age in the photo,although it is really not all that long ago,we can be decieved by photos of the time.People dressed and therefore looked somewhat older  at that time.'
Yes, people looked a lot older, but this man looks well rounded having gained weight over the years, not someone in their early 30's.