Author Topic: Butterfield in Perth, Australia  (Read 616 times)

Offline cumbria nige

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Butterfield in Perth, Australia
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 04 May 19 20:55 BST (UK) »
In scrolling through newspaper articles and other material available online, there is reference to 'George Mellish, appointed by Hare (A police commissionar) to head the local (meaning in Perth) C.I.B.' and that he retired ahead of completing his 5 year appointment before returning to England in 1904

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 04 May 19 23:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks and again, apologises. I really messed up with this posting for help. Indeed, the family group that I am interested is searching for is the MELLISH one. I had thought that George and Harriet had travelled with one of their daughters but it looks as though 2 of them went with them, namely Amy and Edith. I would appeal for further help in making any trace of them after they emigrated. Thankyou

Don't worry about the mess up with dates etc.. It often happens and is sorted now ;D

If you think it is AMY and EDITH who travelled to Australia with them, Why is it F MELLISH arriving.

Edith married here and the other returned with her parents.

See reply #21

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 04 May 19 23:57 BST (UK) »
I found other messages on this site which gave me details of the deaths of Edith's children. It looks as though most of them died in infancy

The obit for William Arthur SAVAGE says that he leaves a widow and 11 children in 1952.  It lists most of them.   I posted details of some of their weddings and world war 2 service etc.    They did NOT die in infancy.   Have a read through the posts and click on the links.   Just take it slowly ... :)

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 04 May 19 23:57 BST (UK) »
Amy married in England, I believe.
I have given some details of her likely whereabouts as Mrs SUMNER.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 05 May 19 00:26 BST (UK) »
Here is an excerpt from the obit for Edith's husband. (which I posted in reply #13)

He leaves a widow and eleven children.
They are Dr. Charles Savage,Adelaide; Mr. Horace Savage,Gawler; Mrs. Alicia Paltridge, Brisbane, Mrs  Annie Michelmore, Adelaide; Lieutenant Commander William Savage. Flinders Naval Base;
Lieutenant Commander Robert Savage, H.M.A.S. Anzac; Mrs. Norah Sutherland, Penola,
; Mrs. Edith Concannon, Naracoorte; and Mr. J. R. (Reg) Savage, Mt. Gambier.

They omitted Mrs Dorothy HURN.

These are all adult children and did NOT die in infancy.

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland