Author Topic: Gee, thanks, Mum  (Read 1428 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gee, thanks, Mum
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 May 19 11:30 BST (UK) »

"I think it sounds like such a hurtful thing to say. I am acutely aware of how ugly I am but it still hurts when someone feels the need to point it out.  It would hurt even more if it was my Mum who said it."

Pharma, please don't think like that, we all have qualities and  it doesn't matter about good looks, look within ones self, I am no oil painting but I don't mind, why on earth should people even tell anyone how ugly they are, so Pharma, think good about yourself

Pharma, what about helping others, you must spend a lot of time helping others on Rootschat, isn't that a good quality

Louisa Maud

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Lethbridge Paddington Slough
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 May 19 11:44 BST (UK) »
I think it sounds like such a hurtful thing to say.

Definitely. Let's not derail the thread by talking about ourselves though, however ugly or otherwise we think we are!
Como le dijo el mosquito a la rana, "Mas vale morir en el vino que vivir en el agua"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 May 19 11:59 BST (UK) »
One of the many reasons I love trawling through the newspaper archives ;D
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 May 19 13:12 BST (UK) »
My grandmother's sister was apparently a "cripple" (in calipers?) who was "no good for the family" and was cast out... upon marrying, her husband proved violent and knocked her about... she managed to make a plea to her father who apparently came to the house and "sorted him out".

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 May 19 23:17 BST (UK) »
I wonder whether it was a cunning bit of reverse psychology and she really didn't believe that he was a suitable match for her Daughter!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 May 19 00:18 BST (UK) »
I think she was pretty long sighted.
The phrase “ a face only a mother could love” springs to mind,brutal  though the truth was ,she was proved right.
In the long run all in her daughter’s best interest perhaps.
It  takes a lot of love sometimes to be so frank , tough love.
I am grateful I was just ordinary, no conditions that make life so hard for those who are unfortunate and do have them.
Now had I been a gorgeous beauty ,I might , in the words of women where I used to live,” Have gone bad ways!”
Wonder what that would have been like?
At least I do  not look in the mirror and regret the looks I have lost,cos I never had any.
Viktoria.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 May 19 08:37 BST (UK) »
I think she was pretty long sighted.
The phrase “ a face only a mother could love” springs to mind,brutal  though the truth was ,she was proved right.
In the long run all in her daughter’s best interest perhaps.
It  takes a lot of love sometimes to be so frank , tough love.
I am grateful I was just ordinary, no conditions that make life so hard for those who are unfortunate and do have them.
Now had I been a gorgeous beauty ,I might , in the words of women where I used to live,” Have gone bad ways!”
Wonder what that would have been like?
At least I do  not look in the mirror and regret the looks I have lost,cos I never had any.
Viktoria.

I don't think it was in her daughter's best interests. Saying something like that would push her towards her fiancé in my opinion.  It also provided him with another possible way to be verbally abusive, e.g. "even your mum says you're ugly"
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline magnacarta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 May 19 09:22 BST (UK) »
At least the young lady escaped, and hopefully went on to meet a new man,and had a happy life. ( and realised mums in desperation sometimes have to resort to what appears to be unkind comments)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 May 19 09:44 BST (UK) »
I don't think it was in her daughter's best interests. Saying something like that would push her towards her fiancé in my opinion.

I disagree.  We are only told that the words were spoken to the suitor, not the daughter - tho she would have heard them in court during the proceedings.  I can't really imagine a fond mother saying that to her daughter directly.  It will have been a ploy which didn't work.  What date was it - parents probably tried harder to direct marriages in those days.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young