Author Topic: Where is he buried?  (Read 2214 times)

Offline chanel

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is he buried?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 May 19 03:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your responses.
No, Jool, I hadn't seen the link you've given me. It could be just what I need. I'm writing to them to see what I can organize....I don't need the whole of the burial records and the cost of sending a CD to me, in Australia, would be significantly more than ten pounds, I think. I'll see what I can arrange with them.
My interest in William Jowett is personal...but not private. He is my maternal grandfather. He sired an illegitimate daughter...my mother.
Chanel.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 May 19 10:53 BST (UK) »
I'd been wondering whether his will might have included instructions as to where he was to be buried. It was proved 15 April 1924, and a copy can be bought at https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

According to a press report of the probate, he left everything to his wife for life, then to his sons William Clement and Herbert John, but could there have been other provisions that were hushed up?

Interestingly, the press cutting at the Marple Local History Society site that I mentioned yesterday also referred to these two sons, though the initial report of his death that Jool found mentioned only one child.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 May 19 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Chanel

Just another suggestion.  St. Thomas, Mellor has its own Facebook page, maybe you could post there and ask if someone would be kind enough to look in the graveyard for you.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/stthomasmellor/
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline chanel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 May 19 13:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, the will might have his burial instructions in it - I'll keep that in mind.

And, yes - Facebook would certainly be worth a go for the photo, but first of all, I have to be sure that he IS buried in St Thomas' churchyard. I haven't done that, yet. I'll e-mail the church and see what's what. I've had dealings with them before on other family matters.

Chanel

Offline chanel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 07:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you all for your help. I have now established that the William Jowett of interest to me is buried in the graveyard of Mellor Church (St. Thomas), and consequently, this thread can now be closed.
Chanel

Offline frankby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 December 19 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chanel,

did you get the photo of the gravestone you wanted. I live in Mellor and regularly walk through the graveyard and could send you one. I'm currently writing about Townscliffe Golf Club of which William Jowett was instrumental in establishing (1908) and closing (1920), and would be interested if any of your documents have any relevant informtion.

Offline chanel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 December 19 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi frankby,
Yes, thank you, I was sent a photo of the Jowett graves by a Mellor local with whom I was able to make contact. She is, in fact, a relative of the late William Jowett, but I do not feel at liberty to pass on her details to you. My contact with her was made through the kindness of Mellor Church admin.
Although I've done a bit of research on the Jowetts, all on-line, I've come across nothing about Townscliffe Golf Club. I just know that William became involved in a lot of ….."things".
Do you know of Geoffrey Heath, a Mellor local, who wrote a book entitled "A Mellor Boyhood"? While his book may not contain anything of interest to you, perhaps he has some knowledge of Townscliffe Golf Club that is of interest. But...um....he was elderly when I was in contact with him probably 10 years ago, so.....?
Sorry I can't help you more, but good luck.

Offline frankby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 December 19 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes I know of Mellor Boyhood. I'll speak to the admin of Mellor Parish Centre about the Jowett ancestors. If they are local, I may know them already.

You've probably seen it but there is a photo of Townscliffe Golf Club house with members around about 1910-14 with William Jowett sat in the front row. There is also a photo of his 2 sons in a Donkey cart outside his home.

Offline chanel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 December 19 01:55 GMT (UK) »
        No, I haven't seen either of these photos -I'll see if I can find them. They'd be interesting to have in my Jowett records.