Author Topic: Harbert / Herbert (or varients) St Mary, Durham  (Read 883 times)

Offline patchwitch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harbert / Herbert (or varients) St Mary, Durham
« on: Saturday 04 May 19 16:35 BST (UK) »
Could any kind person please check to see if there is a baptism for a Mary Harbert (the last name may have a spelling variation) around 18 January 1797? The LDS index gives the parish as "St Mary" so I don't know if that is St Mary Le Bow or St Mary the Less, although I would take a guess at St Mary the Less. Ideally I'd like to know who her father was. Her mother's name was Ann or Anne.

There is no hurry for the information so please don't make a special trip.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harbert / Herbert (or varients) St Mary, Durham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 May 19 17:26 BST (UK) »
Durham Records Online has the baptisms for most of the major churches in Durham City, including St Mary le Bow and St Mary the Less, but nothing turns up for a Mary Herbert/Harbert in 1797.

Also, the film number for the baptism you have cited is 2082452, but searching on that number on the Catalogue https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/search/ doesn't reveal any mention of either of the Durham Churches you mention  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 May 19 18:11 BST (UK) »
I looked that record on Family Search and there is something very odd about it (and other entries which are billed as St Mary, Durham). I am very unsure about her being baptised at either St Mary le Bow or St Mary the Less. Both churches for this time frame are on Durham Records online and no sign of her in their database

FS quote a film reference of 2082452 for that record and searching the catalogue for that film number brings up the following:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nr3/

A few different churches on that film but nothing immediately recognisable (to me) as being a St Mary, Durham.

As an aside the LDS do have links to the Herbert Maxwell Wood published transcription books
St Mary the Less   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nr4/
St Mary le Bow     http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nr5/

and no sign of her in there either (though I just looked at 1797, not the entire books)

So unless anyone can suggest which of the churches on the list of what's on the film may have been dedicated to St Mary I don't know what the answer is.

Sorry the reply is so negative :-(

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 May 19 18:12 BST (UK) »
apologies JenB, I have just done the lIttle Miss Echo thing - again!

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 May 19 18:26 BST (UK) »
Found her ! (on Ancestry in the RG4)

Born 16th Jan 1797, Baptised 18th of the same month and year baptised Maria Harbut daughter of Philip and Anne Harbut (maiden name Paddison) his wife.
Godfather William Harbut, Godmother Elizabeth Harbut

In the Chapel of the Secular Clergy in the City of Durham  It was Catholic and written in latin so I have paraphrased

Fingers crossed its the record you are looking for

Boo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 May 19 18:35 BST (UK) »
Well done  :D

Where on earth they got St Mary's from is anyone's guess, but it's not the first time I've seen misleading indexing on F.S.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 May 19 18:40 BST (UK) »
It was bugging me that at least some of the other churches in that list appeared to be RC.
Took a while (brain not what it was) but eventually I decided to try the non conformist records. I do sometimes wish FS would transcribe all of the record, but I am grateful for what we do get and, with a bit of sideways thinking, can firkle till I find what I was after - well, most of the time anyway!

Still not found anything that says this chapel/church was dedicated to St Mary, but will keep looking as I do like things to be tidy!

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 May 19 21:02 BST (UK) »
Dinner over and dishwasher stacked, so I looked at the header pages for this register

RG4 Piece 0046 Durham, Chapel of the Secular Clergy, formerly the Jesuits Chapel (Catholic) 1739–1809

Statement when registers were deposited (in 1840):
To the Commissioners for inquiring into the State, Custody and Authenticity of Non-parochial Registers
The annexed or accompanying Books are the original Register Books
of Births, Baptisms & Marriages which
have been kept for the Roman Catholic Chapel called St Cuthberts Chapel, Old Elvet, Durham
The Parish of Elvet, in the County of Durham

Founded about the year 1826 :- + the two old chapels, one belonging to the Jesuits, the other to the Secular Clergy, were both split up at that time, They had been founded from time immemorial

So apologies to Family Search for doubting their records , though it has taken a bit of firkling to find it, their index is correct (though it would have been helpful to have the full transcript with the good stuff like which item on the film it came from and the parents names etc) as this appears to relate to item 3 on film 2082452 as per the index entry we started with.

and NoseyBoo will check it out next time she is at an FHC as they appear to have images viewable at the centres

<though still not sure why it says St Mary Durham as I can't find any reference to the dedication of either of these chapels - assuming they had one>

Apologies to patchwitch for utterly taking this to the extreme when all you wanted to know was the details of the parents, but I really do like to understand the whys and wherefores of what I see and get very frustrated when it doesn't add up.

Boo

Offline patchwitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 May 19 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much to everyone who checked. I am so very grateful.

Elvet (Old or New) makes a lot of sense - I'm not so sure about the RC connection but it gives me something else to check out and will teach me to keep an open mind.

And I also appreciate the extra information as it is nice to know and can mean there is another lead to follow when the next brick wall is reached.

Once again I am very grateful to everyone who has looked. I generally take all online transcriptions and indices as guides having seen some "interesting" errors in many.

I am just starting to write up my findings in a format more accessible than boxes of loose papers and as I go through things I am finding quite a few loose ends - reminding me of how inexperienced i was when I started my quest well over 20 years ago. There is never a beginning and never an end when it comes to family history.

Helen