Author Topic: Has anyone heard of the Stockiness Riot?  (Read 3057 times)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone heard of the Stockiness Riot?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think it likely that the riot was either connected to the Pentrich Revolution of 1817 or a rising of framework knitters in 1811 (Jonathon Wright was a framework knitter).  Framework knitters made stockings and again, according the family stories, the stockingers walked to Nottingham from Pentrich to sell the stockings.

Thank you for the link.  I had seen it before when searching for the Hunt family.  In my family tree is Samuel Hunt who was tried at Derby assizes for high treason for his part in the Pentrich Revolution and transported to Australia.  In fact the beginning of the Pentrich Revolution was when the ringleaders met at Hunt's barn in South Wingfield.

Thank you again,  marp

However, as I was looking for the Hunt family I did not notice the Bramley/Brambley connections also.   So, thank you for that.

Online spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

It is unlikely, but not impossible, for the Pentrich frame work knitters to walk to Nottingham to sell their stockings.  However the system was that Bag Men distributed the Cotton or Silk to the FWK’s and then collected the finished hose and paid them for their work.

This system was used until the factory system came into operation, an example is the Ward family of Belper, long established as hosiers, who in 1801 built premises and installed stocking frames and employed FWKs they also rented out machines to FWK in various villages.  The cost of renting these frames plus low payment to these out workers,  caused a lot of hardship and led to the Pentrich uprising.

Frame work knitting frames were very expensive to purchase, the knitters also had to obtain the raw materials if they operated alone.  Think it more likely that many in Pentrich and other places in Derbyshire were renting their frames, some from the Ward family, who in 1801 became Ward Sharpe & co, abt 1811 Ward, Brettle & Ward a company who would later become George Brettle & co.

Please note this is a very rough statement as to the history of FWK.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 May 19 01:00 BST (UK) »
  Thank you for this Spendlove.  Regarding the walk to Nottingham from Pentrich to sell stockings,  I was repeating one of the many stories families pass down the generations.   Sometimes, they become embellished over time. The story of Stockiness is another example.

I had an aunt who told me the story of the man who hid in a grandfather clock to evade those knocking on his door to ask him to join them in what she said was the Pentrich Revolution.   Years later, I heard from a distant cousin, several times removed and found through a DNA match (with guess who), the same story but using the term the Stockiness Riot rather than Pentrich Rising/Revolution which led to my original posting here.

It is interesting to compare the factual accounts with the family stories which often have a grain of truth but the facts have been changed over the years of telling.

Thanks again, marp

Offline Wyken

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 July 21 10:33 BST (UK) »
My family also has a story about an ancestor hiding from the Stockiners Riots in his grandfather clock, and the closest surname I have (his son) is Wright, so this Jonathan Wright is also my ancestor. His residence at Pentrich implies that the incident was the Pentrich Uprising of 1817. The rioters toured the area on the night of 9 June cajoling local men to join them in their doomed enterprise. Jonathan Wright wisely dodged them.

If Marp would like to get in touch, we might establish where our family trees converge.

Offline Wyken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 July 21 12:52 BST (UK) »
To Marp. Thank you for your reply that confirms we have the same ancestor, Jonathan Wright, who hid in his grandfather clock to avoid the Pentrich rioters in 1817. I too have a direct ancestry connection to his granddaughter Ellen Wright who married Oliver Stanley. I would like to discuss this further but as a new member of RootsChat, am finding it difficult to negotiate the pages. I seem to be barred from replying to your message of today, but will try. I am particularly intrigued by your mention of the Hunt of Hunts Barn fame.

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 July 21 12:04 BST (UK) »
Wyken

You have to make 3 posts on the forums to be able to make private posts so just reply to this and I think you should then be able to send a private message to marp