Author Topic: Need help on hand writing  (Read 1139 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help on hand writing
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 May 19 17:47 BST (UK) »
It seems the word Maw is a Scottish term for mother/mom according to this website (I've never heard of it before)

http://www.scotranslate.com/translate/scottish/maw/1/443#.XM8Ra2zsbIU

Josey has already suggested this  :)

Yes - Maw is a term for mother in Scotland.

So - a souvenir from the girls of Mother's house?   

Looby :)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 May 19 17:55 BST (UK) »
I suggested that 'Maw' was an affectionate name for the woman that ran or managed a group of girls in a house; Miss Bennett must have known that was how the girls were described or described themselves. May even have been a matron or housekeeper & the girls were under her management; or maybe even the house at a boarding school.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 May 19 08:07 BST (UK) »
Bit of a very long shot:
Maybe they were at Magdalene College, Cambridge?

Best regards,
Karen

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 May 19 09:49 BST (UK) »
Bit of a very long shot:
Maybe they were at Magdalene College, Cambridge?

Best regards,
Karen

Good thinking,Karen  :)

Louis - do you know anything about Miss Bennett or even what was with the labelin the box, who owned it or how found?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 May 19 10:07 BST (UK) »
Just checked admission of females - it was the last of the Cambridge colleges to admit females - 1988, so .........
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 May 19 10:51 BST (UK) »

"The college was the last to accept female students in 1988 – a decision that was greeted by protestors wearing black armbands"   (:-X)

"When women were first admitted to the college, Magdalene students wore black armbands to protest and flew the college flag at half mast. Magdalene students also reportedly marched around Cambridge carrying a coffin decrying the expected demise of the college. The college’s academic results swiftly began to improve and it rose up the Tompkins table as women were admitted".  (;D)
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 21:22 BST (UK) »
'Maw' is definitely a surname too.

the girls of the house of "Maw"

'house' can also mean family in this context, so to me it also means ... the girls of the family of Maw, in other words ... the girls of the Maw family.

I know this to be the case re surname, because when looking through Yorkshire Probate Will Registers at the Borthwick, I came across Mawhood and I've also discovered Maw was a surname in its own right.

Added some Family Pedigrees are titled House of ... surname.

Mark