Author Topic: Parents of William PLUNKETT  (Read 275 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of William PLUNKETT
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 02:04 BST (UK) »
PS to my reply #8, having now examined previous and subsequent pages, content confirms what I thought.
Baptisms 'P.P.':Child's forename + surname; father's forename; mother's forename; mother's surname.
Baptisms p and a squiggle: Child's forename; father's forename + surname; mother's forename + surname.
P.P. did majority of baptisms. There were normally 42 per double-page. 9 on the double-page where Mary Allice's baptism is were by p squiggle. Only exception to this pattern was 3rd Nov. 1865, Margaret, parents Denis May & Rose Milligan. Handwriting is not like P.P.'s ; someone else (p squiggle?) may have written it in , perhaps from a note left by P.P. and wrote it his own way.
P.P. did 38 of 42 baptisms on previous double-page March-July 1865; p squiggle 4.
P.P.'s baptism rate had dropped to 29 out of 42 for April-Dec. 1866, p squiggle had 13.
I surmised those without 'P.P.' might have happened on his day off. However on 20th May 1866 there was a baptism by P.P., entry with his usual format and one with p squiggle, in his style & scrawl, with a line separating them.
If baptisms in the p squiggle format were all illegitimate births, the priests would be having a moral panic, so imo, they weren't all illegitimate.
There's a note on 17th Feb. 1868 in the marriage register 'Father Geoghigan died this morning'. Marriage register is fairly neat. I wonder if Father G's baptisms were p squiggle's.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.