Author Topic: Parents of William PLUNKETT  (Read 977 times)

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of William PLUNKETT
« on: Sunday 05 May 19 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm still trying to find out the parents of my 2nd great grandfather, William PLUNKETT.

He was born about 1836 County Meath, Ireland and died 15 Sep 1896 Liverpool Workhouse.

He and Catherine SMITH (father unknown, mother Mary SMITH) had 8 children but to date I can not find out if they married in Ireland (first child Mary Alice baptised Bohermeen, Meath 1865) or England where the remaining children were born. Children baptised as RC.

Any further help really appreciated. Thanks :)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of William PLUNKETT
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 May 19 16:35 BST (UK) »
Priest would most likely have made a note on Mary Alice's baptism if the parents were not married. (assuming he knew)
Have you checked the Bohermeen Register and if not there have you checked the surrounding parishes as marriages usually took place in the bride's parish. Also keep in mind they could have had earlier children that died before the dates you found them the family in England.
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0900

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 May 19 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sinann for replying. This is the entry for Mary Alice ...  as someone pointed out, the rest of the pages list parents by 'father & mother surname' whereas her entry has parents as "William PLUNKETT and Catherine SMYTH". This is why I'm possibly wondering if they weren't married....

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look and see if I can find anything. Seems Smyth/Smith is a fairly common surname in the area, Plunkett less so.

Just hoping there's some other alternative to finding out the parents that I'm unaware of.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 May 19 16:54 BST (UK) »
I can't see a birth registration for a Mary Plunkett 1864-1866 with a mother whose maiden name was Smith. Have you checked civil birth registrations for Mary Smith in the district where the baptism was?
Edit. I notice that there was only 1 sponsor, so perhaps only one side of her family represented at the baptism.
Cowban

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 May 19 17:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maiden Stone.

The 1871 English Census has Mary SMITH, mother in law, living with Catherine and William Plunkett. Her marital status says widow ... so SMYTH may not be her maiden name.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 May 19 18:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maiden Stone.

The 1871 English Census has Mary SMITH, mother in law, living with Catherine and William Plunkett. Her marital status says widow ... so SMYTH may not be her maiden name.

Catherine Smith was name of baby Mary Alice's mother in baptism register. What I meant by my question in my previous post was have you looked for the birth registration of baby Mary as Mary Smith instead of Mary Plunkett in Irish birth registrations on Irish Genealogy.ie? Babies were usually baptised soon after birth so I'd expect to find a birth registration in the same or a neighbouring district. Was date of birth or residence noted in baptism register? Some births weren't registered in early years of civil registration, so it's possible that Mary Alice is missing from registrations.
Cowban

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 May 19 03:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Maiden Stone.

There's a couple of registrations that could be possibly Mary Alice Plunkett/Smyth but I'm not sure how to narrow them down or whether I need to purchase all certificates (my knowledge of Irish genealogy is poor).

Mary PLUNKETT Reg 1865, Trim. Volume 7, Page 1103

and then there were about 13 Mary SMITH options lol. I wish they had a more unusual name like my Ching's of Bradworthy, Devon.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 May 19 06:42 BST (UK) »
You don't need to purchase any birth certs.
From you other thread.
If Mary Alice was born in 1865 then her birth certificate should be viewable at www.irishgenealogy.ie ( free site). Bohermeen comes under Navan district on the drop down Reg district list. Annoyingly there doesn’t seem to be a birth to match the baptism record. I also checked under Smyth/Smith in case she was illegitimate.

The search page link https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
Registration districts https://www.swilson.info/regdistmap.php

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 May 19 17:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sinann for replying. This is the entry for Mary Alice ...  as someone pointed out, the rest of the pages list parents by 'father & mother surname' whereas her entry has parents as "William PLUNKETT and Catherine SMYTH". This is why I'm possibly wondering if they weren't married....

Having now looked at other entries on those 2 pages, I think the differences in format depended on which priest baptised the baby or entered the baptism in the register. Some entries include 'P.P' which is presumably Parish Priest. Examine all those with 'P.P' and you may find that they follow one format whereas those without 'P.P' may be different. Names of priests weren't included in this register so we don't know how many priests were in the parish.
Some baptism registers with headed columns were completed to a set format and it's apparent what each piece of information is. Others were more random and each priest seemed to decide for himself what information he recorded and how he wrote it. When the priest changed, method of register keeping might change.
I don't think you can judge from this baptism register if Catherine was married to the father.
I noticed surnames Smyth and Plunkett at other baptisms.
Cowban