Author Topic: Regiment on death cert 1856 Scotland  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Regiment on death cert 1856 Scotland
« on: Sunday 05 May 19 20:25 BST (UK) »
I'd appreciate views on the attached clip from a death certificate in Old Monkland, Lanarkshire, in 1856. It says the father was a soldier in the ?? Regiment Infantry. Can anyone make out what the Regiment is? Many thanks, Flemming.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Regiment on death cert 1856 Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 May 19 21:13 BST (UK) »
35th or 36th Regiment Infantry perhaps?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 May 19 22:03 BST (UK) »
I agree with that.
Viktoria.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 May 19 22:16 BST (UK) »
That would be handy, because it would match a prospective death for the father in Dinapore in 1859 who was in the 35th Regiment (they seemed to have dropped like flies that year).

If this is the case, I'd be interested to find out more about the 35th. TNA has some references to soldiers in the regiment, including a soldier joining up in Dublin on 9 December 1842, serving in Mauritius 1843-1848, Ireland 1848-1852, and Burma and India 1854-1866. I wonder how the chap in question found time to get to Scotland to father a child.

TNA also says the regiment was the Royal Sussex, and the records are held in Sussex and also Lichfield. Does this mean it may have had a high number of recruits from these areas, or didn't that count for much given the shuffling around of soldiers and battalions?

I've searched for records for 35th on FindMyPast but there are only two entries for the relevant time period that I can find, but perhaps West Sussex RO may have more info on this.

Thank you both for looking  :)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 May 19 08:07 BST (UK) »
I suggest it was the 34th who were stationed in Scotland from late August 1856 after the Crimea.  Neither 35th or 36th were stationed in Scotland in that year.  While of course a soldier of one of those regiments could have been living (and dying) there, I would look also at the 34th.

Have you checked the army deaths register?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 May 19 08:47 BST (UK) »
Morning Max, thanks for the reply. The chap in question was quite busy in the children department. The first was born in 1854/5 in Scotland (allegedly - there are too many options for this to pull the records on SP) so he must have been around in 1853/4. The second child was born in May 1856 (so he must have been at home in summer/autumn 1855). This child sadly died within months and the mmn was on the death index which is how I came by the entry. A third child was born in Jan 1858, so he must have been home in spring 1857 (this child died in 1859 but haven't got the record for it).

A fourth child was born in 1860-62 and I have wondered if this was really his. Finding a death for him in 1859 in India would cover the first three children but not the fourth, so it would fit that particular theory. His wife was a widow from 1871 at the latest, possibly 1864 at the latest when she conceived a fifth child out of wedlock.

Do you mean the army death register on Ancestry? If so, yes, and there's nothing there. I found the 1859 India burial record on FindMyPast. The two pages had a lot of entries for solidiers from the 35th.

I realise they moved regiments and wonder if it's worth investing in the death entry of the third child to see what it says. The birth entry in 1856 just says 'soldier' so it may not tell me any more than that.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 May 19 09:25 BST (UK) »
There are 256 army births in Scotland (FindMyPast) including 1856 which may be worth looking through, if the child/children is/are there that would give the regiment.  Easier to look at than SP.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 May 19 09:47 BST (UK) »
Is that under British Armed Forces And Overseas Births And Baptisms? If so, the children aren't there. I did a 20 year span, varied the surname spelling, removed Scotland... The child was born at Long Row in Dundyvan (mining community) so probably not in barracks and so missed a regimental registration??

I've also wondered if the parents were actually married as I've never found a record for this. The mother was born in Ireland and so he could have met/married her there but still not found a record, and I had her pinned to family who came over from Ireland to Scotland before 1841.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 May 19 14:54 BST (UK) »
Yes that is the database.

None of the three regiments in contention can be found in Scotland in all of the years in question.  They each have a similar variety of places as you've seen with the 35th.  Regular soldiers could get long leaves when overseas after a certain length of service but only a trawl through the regiments' muster rolls would give you that information.

Out of ideas at present I'm afraid, perhaps the death cert as you are thinking.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk