Author Topic: Looking for workbag doll owner  (Read 2409 times)

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for workbag doll owner
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 May 19 10:10 BST (UK) »
I brought it to Australia to add to our collection. I bought it off eBay UK from a seller who purchased it at an auction. Details as follows: Lot 138 on 21st Feb 2019
Adam Partridge Auctioneers and Valuers,
The Cheshire Salesroom,
Withyfold Drive,
Macclesfield,
Cheshire, SK10 2BD, UK.

Not sure how that ties in as I am unfamiliar with the location of the various counties in the UK.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 May 19 10:19 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 May 19 10:37 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, you might know something I don't (I'm sure you do!), but I don't think the Star & Garter Home was for retired stage performers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Star_and_Garter_Home,_Richmond

Are you thinking of nearby Brinsworth House in Twickenham?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinsworth_House

We visited the beautiful S&G a few years ago on an Open Day.

Martin
Thanks Mart,  I wonder if I am  getting mixed up ( I am anyway! ;D) with the support the home(s) get(s) from show business  people,? I am pretty sure there is a connection.
Must have seen something onT.V.
Perhaps as they seem pretty luxurious show business people retire there?
I will google it which is what I ought to have done before rushing in!
Thanks again, you learn nothing new if you are not given the correct information when you are in error.( you are also I imagine bigger than I am
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D) Viktoria,( 5’)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 06 May 19 10:44 BST (UK) »
Googled it and they are for veterans and partners,especially veterans with dementia.
Was there perhaps a pub with that name ,connected to showbiz.
Can’t think where I got the idea .(It ‘s me tablits!)
Funny ( not really) that you remember perfectly well what did not happen but forget what did!
Cheerio ,Viktoria,I think.

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 May 19 12:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all those who contributed. As usual, I am blown away with the knowledge and ability of the people on this forum. There is seemingly nothing you can't solve between you. You're all awesome!  :) :) :)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 06 May 19 15:57 BST (UK) »
Was there perhaps a pub with that name ,connected to showbiz.

Yes there was Viktoria.  I can just remember it, but it wasn't a real pub ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_and_Garters

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 May 19 07:02 BST (UK) »
Fascinating thread, though I don't have anything very useful to add....
But a couple of thoughts.
1) I can't really see that either of those notes were written by a "calligrapher of repute".
2) I like dolls.  Nearer to 70 now, but I would still be delighted to be given one, (especially a sewing one as that is another hobby), and this one was intended to reduce the trauma of losing so many treasures in a fire.
3) Children will often grab a whole book title or sentence as a name, if they hear it often. When  I was small, I was given a cloth doll from the West Indies I called "Cindy-don't-let-me-down", due to a very popular song at the time.  :)

1956 Eddie Fisher: "Cindy, oh Cindy, Cindy don't let me down, write me a letter soon, and I'll be homeward bound."    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZVpTtYyPs
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 May 19 07:13 BST (UK) »
Since posting this here, I have had confirmation that the second lot of writing really was done by Phoebe Rennell. By contacting the auction house, the people at Fydell House managed to get in touch with Phoebe's great niece Caroline whose own niece placed the doll in the auction. She said the doll was kept in her drawing room and Phoebe used to joke that everything of value was destroyed or damaged (in the fire) but the toilet rolls survived.

I fully agree with your second and third points. It sounds as though Phoebe lost everything in that fire so it was kind of her Aunt Mollie to give her the replacement doll.

When I was little, I apparently had a book with two characters in it called Amanda Sue and Samantha Jane. it is what I called my two cats way back then. I have no recollection of the book.

Thanks for your input.
Kathryn.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 13 May 19 10:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update. Sad, in a way, that a doll with so much meaning attached to it, is no longer part of  Phoebe's family, but wonderful that it has found a home where so much care and attention is being given to its preservation by yourself.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .