Author Topic: Buying Wages  (Read 261 times)

Offline john whitelock

• RootsChat Extra
  • John L Whitelock
    • View Profile
Buying Wages
« on: Monday 06 May 19 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have this quote from a document:

Thomas Pratt, William Blackmur, Shipwrights, Sheerness. They bought the wages of Thomas Pritten and George Olive Sr., Caulkers, for one shilling in the pound. The men left without being properly discharged and were marked as Run. They ask for the Runs to be removed so that they may be reimbursed.

What is menat by 'buying wages' - and also I assume Run means leaving without authority but not sure

Thanks in advance
Whitelock (essex), Arrowsmith (northumberland), Spice (hastings), Linge (suffolk), Blackmur (london), Mitchell (Sussex)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Buying Wages
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 May 19 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Do you have the year or decade for this?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline john whitelock

• RootsChat Extra
  • John L Whitelock
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 May 19 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry should have included this: 1734 from Naval Board records
Whitelock (essex), Arrowsmith (northumberland), Spice (hastings), Linge (suffolk), Blackmur (london), Mitchell (Sussex)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Senior
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 10:07 BST (UK) »
Raffling off a weekly wage was still going on in the mid 70s.   

Of course that was before BACS was widespread and the National Lottery was years away!

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia