Author Topic: tracing my grandmother  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: tracing my grandmother
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 17:18 BST (UK) »
Daughter Lilian...

Marriage

KENNY LILIAN ELIZABET & REID DONALD 1934
084/ 5
Urquhart and Logie Wester

Death

KENNY LILLIAN ELIZABE 65
MACLENNAN (mms)
231/ 82 Inverness

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 17:31 BST (UK) »
Just in case any details are wrong re parentage on her death this looks like her birth which will/should name both parents with mms;
MCLENNAN ANN JANE 1873
079/ 4 Resolis
IGI (extracted) lists her as born 6 February 1873, parents Hugh McLennan and Elizabeth MS McLennan, married Resolis 25 November 1870.

1881 census (LDS transcription) has Hugh McLennan, 54, born Redcastle; Elizabeth, 46, Cromarty; Annie J, 8; Kenneth D, 6; Bella J, 4; all three born Resolis.

SP index has births of Ann Jane, 1873; Kenneth Donald, 1875; Isabella Elizabeth, 1876, in Resolis.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 19:36 BST (UK) »
It would be an idea to check the address of Ann Jane's death & daughter Lilian's marriage as it may be easier to find info. using the address(es) which people today may have a recollection?

The occ. of Donald Reid would be interesting as there's (VRs);

REID DONALD Inhabitant Occupier
HOUSE MULCHAICH, (Ferintosh), URQUHART (ROSS AND CROMARTY)
VR011500080-

This looks to be a farm, originally a distillery;

http://www.nosas.co.uk/visitmulchaichdistillery.asp

If Ann Jane's address differs it will still be on the VRs with who the proprietor/tenant occupier was if living with relatives/friends or other?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline heaross77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 May 19 15:01 BST (UK) »
I'll give you what information I have with regards to my dad as I knew him Hugh Albert Mclennan Kenny to give him his full title, my maiden name was Patricia Ann Kenny. My dad was born on 23/03 1910 and registered as Hugh Albert McLennan in Queen Charlotte Hospital in London. His mother's address on the certificate is 14 Harcourt Street St. Marylebone at tha t point my gran was listed as single. In the 1911 census my father is still McLennan but lives in the household of Leonard Jacques. he 1 year old and listed as son of the family. Also in 1911 Annie must have met Francis Kenny and Married him on the 8/03/1911 he is 50 and a widower and she is 37, the addresses for both of them is 14 Harcourt Street St Marylebone, I have a copy of the marriage gertificate, later year Lilian Elizabeth Kenny is borh, my dad's half sister. sometome between then and when my dad was a young boy they came back up to Scotland without Francis and by then my father is known as Hugh Albert Mclennan Kenny. when Annie died in 1935 her address was duncanston, logie wester and it was registered by lilian and her addres  was Mulchaich Conon Bridge. my father was in the army for years, surely there must have been some sort of a record of the name change. I tried to get a copy of my fathers army records but they can't find them so i'm completely at a loss now I don't know what to try next. HELP.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 May 19 22:42 BST (UK) »
"Annie died in 1935 her address was duncanston, logie wester"

Just wondering if there's a no. attached to the address as I'm getting confused with the above & the info. posted earlier at Reply #6...

"she died in Agneshill Ross & Cromarty"

The questions are to enable others who may be willing to help to know where to look with the info. you have.

Can you please post exactly what's written for the address where Annie died as the 2 you've provided are different?

Could she have been living with family, brother possibly?...

MACLENNAN KENNETH Tenant
HOUSE AND LAND AGNESHILL PARK, ESTATE OF NEWHALL RESOLIS
VR011500080-

Annie

Add...Kenneth is at Agneshill right back to 1910

In 1905 could be her parents?

Is her father alive when she married in 1911 as Kenneth (if he's the son) appears from 1910 i.e. possibly her father died 1905 - 1910?

I can't say for sure this is the family of course.

MACLENNAN HUGH Tenant Occupier
FARM AGNESHILL ESTATE OF NEWHALL RESOLIS
VR011500050-

Offline heaross77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 11 May 19 14:14 BST (UK) »
Some of the information is from certificates I've printed off from Scotland's People and the printing of some of them are hard to read. I think you might be on to some thing when you said she could be living with a relative when she came back to Scotland and don't' think she would have come until after her father died so it's quite possible that she stayed with Kenneth. In those days her family would not have approved of her life style, because some of them are Very religious  , I don't think I'll get much more info until 1921 census comes. I'm going to try and find out more about the brother hopefully I might turn up something. Thanks for all your help its much appreciated .

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 11 May 19 14:38 BST (UK) »
If you post snippets of what you can't read I'm sure some of us will be able to help?

Having the correct info. is a must.

Annie

Offline Jim Mackay

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 15 August 22 16:39 BST (UK) »
This won't be particularly helpful re the Kenny connection, but it may be of interest to see  the information I've just posted on the McLennan families of Agneshill, Resolis, and information about Agneshill generally on the Kirkmichael (Black Isle) website here:
https://www.kirkmichael.info/Origins_of_Agneshill_Resolis_McLennan_Agneshill_Kennuck_the_Deer.html
Hope of some interest!