Author Topic: Stanley MORGAN tailor: "Also (by appointment only) at 130, Cheapside.., etc.."  (Read 634 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi again, Everyone,
I have recently come across a page from a ledger that belonged to Stanley MORGAN, Tailors, of 38, Trumpington St, Cambridge.  Located opposite the Fitzwilliam Museum, right next door to the Little Rose Public House.  I believe he was in business from at least 1926 until 1943.
At the bottom of the page it states: "Also (by appointment only) at 130, Cheapside and 22, Princes St, Regent St, London W"
Now, would this have meant that Stanley Morgan had two other branches in fashionable London, or that he had some  special arrangement with the premises at those two addresses.  Could someone look in a Street Directory of the time for me? And why "by appointment only", and what was its significance?
Many thanks with any assistance, in advance...
Keith

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
From the Bucks Herald - Friday 02 November 1934
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi again, Stanmapstone, and thanks very much for providing that!
Does this suggest that there was some kind of Tailoring network, where perhaps you became a member of something   with a wider organisation..?
Keith
...an association of Master Tailors, in fact (rereading your post)...would 130 Cheapside have just been a fitting room, where customers could be measured up, inside leg and all that...

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
.would 130 Cheapside have just been a fitting room, where customers could be measured up, inside leg and all that...

There are a number of adverts for tailors that have London fitting rooms where their main addresses are in other locations.
Today there is a firm called London Fitting Rooms http://www.londonfittingrooms.com/contact
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Very interesting, Stan,
I wonder who these fitters were who were entrusted to get the vital measurements exactly right.  I imagine, then that the other address I gave in my initial post, at 22, Princes St performed the same kind of function for those clients who perhaps preferred to be measured up in the capital without having to journey out to the provinces...
Keith

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
The fitters would be trained personnel (much as a tailor is today) who would be expert not only at measuring, but at 'fitting' (ie adjusting and pinning) a partially made garment to ensure perfect fit.

Very skilled occupation.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
From London PO Directories:

130 Cheapside:  C&J Weldon Ltd, warehousemen in 1934. No listing in 1938.
22 Princes Street: Harding & Messenger Ltd, woollen warehousemen in 1934 and 1938.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thanks very much for that Igorstrav, and hi again Shaun and thanks for identifying whose names were associated with those two London addresses...
Tailoring is an area about which I know next to nothing, so any help on here has been greatly appreciated.  The Little Rose pub is no more, by the way, it's a fish restaurant now.  Though the Fitzwilliam Museum continues to flourish opposite...and cars still flirt with the peril of Hobson's Conduit that runs past both sides of the road there...
Keith