Author Topic: Turtle family of Lambeth - origins prior to 1801  (Read 634 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Turtle family of Lambeth - origins prior to 1801
« on: Monday 06 May 19 14:16 BST (UK) »
For many years I have been trying to find the origins the my ancestor Robert Turtle. Records state he was born between c1770 and 1776 in a county that was NOT Surrey. He married Amy Clark in Lambeth in 1801 and was a gardener. He died in 1842.

There was a John Turtle who lived in the Southwark and Bermondsey area who was also a gardener and given their name and near locations it seems possible they were related. However this John Turtle's origins and even birth and death dates are unknown.

John Turtle married firstly Mary Hammond, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Hammond, prior to 1801 (Her parentage is confirmed on a non conformist baptism of their first child) and then secondly Mary Duson in 1824. He was alive in 1829 but dead by 1844 although I can't find his death.

If anyone might be able to please help with my Turtle quest I would be most grateful.

Many thanks,
Jon     

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Turtle family of Lambeth - origins prior to 1801
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 May 19 15:03 BST (UK) »
Can only find this one

Robert Turtle Falkenham Suffolk
Baptism   20 Oct 1771
Mother   Sarah Father   William

Parish of St Ethelbert
GEDmatch M157477

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 May 19 16:52 BST (UK) »
The GRO has the death of a John Turtle aged 77 in Sep qtr 1840 in the Greenwich district, though if your last sighting was 1829 there are quite a lot of years not covered by civil registration.

I've looked at FamilySearch for possible baptisms to fit with this death, and the best I've found is 24 Jan 1762 at Hollesley, Suffolk, son of James and Susanna. That's not very far from Falkenham.

FS also has a John son of William and Sarah baptised 26 Oct 1760 at Loughton, Essex, but they record that this one was buried 15 Jan 1764. I don't know what their source is for these entries, or how accurate you can expect them to be.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 May 19 17:22 BST (UK) »
There are Turtle families in the Colchester area in the mid to late 1700s.  Unsure if there is a Robert at the right time but another area to look.  Probably worth checking if FreeReg have transcribed parishes in the area.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 08:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies to my post. I hadn't come across the Falkenham 1771 baptism and as Robert had children named William and Sarah this seems like a possibility.

I also hadnt seen the 1840 death of John Turtle in Greenwich. I have had a look at the burial and he died in the poor house so not sure this is him given area and that his daughter married in the area he was associated with (Bermondsey) in 1844. But I will have a look further.

Thanks again everyone,
Jon