Author Topic: Help please to date photo of Group aboard a ship  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please to date photo of Group aboard a ship
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 May 19 23:25 BST (UK) »
I've been puzzling about this one too, Carol  :)

I recall that wedding group which we thought looked 1910-sh but Jim correctly dated it as circa 1917. Could it be the same vintage or even a bit later?

Gadget

Yes G. That thought had occurred to me but I thought the sleeves in the photo you mentioned tightened from the elbow down but not sure. I know that sleeve shape did make a brief reappearance.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 May 19 23:46 BST (UK) »
The women's clothes look really mixed: 1890s-1920ish!  When did  bow ties and trilbies become popular?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 04:29 BST (UK) »

" I think it is taken onboard a ship- would others agree? "

Unless there is something seriously wrong, of course it is ;D

I have some doubts.   It is very odd.    That definitely looks like a Ships Air Intake and what is odd about this is that there seems to be a spectacled lady inside it, looking out.

The thing that causes me so much doubt is the arch on the upper left.   It looks like stone slabs, and then something else.   That air intake would have to be on the foredeck just below the Bridge and yet the structure at the top appears to curve forward.

If it was taken on a quayside then the air intake would have to have been moved  to a side deck.

Quite odd.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 08:15 BST (UK) »
I was struck by all the different hats, no two look the same. 

What country were they supposedly emigrating from and to?

If we had some names could look for a passenger list.  If one exists that is.
Would pin down a date.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 10:06 BST (UK) »
I’m posting on behalf of someone I’m assisting on another forum so don’t have the original photo

Perhaps you could encourage the person you are helping to post an image of the rear of the image.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 10:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the comments.
Sarah - I don’t think she has the original image.
A bit of background. Albert Knott ( born 1894 in Malling, Kent to Charles Henry Knott and Elizabeth Martha nee Forrest) married Eileen Mabel Florence Kennedy ( thought to have been born in Dublin in 1894 possible father William or William Joseph Kennedy) in 1917 in Kimberley South Africa. One of the witnesses was a William Joseph Kennedy.
Albert was still with his family in Kent in 1911. The OP believes the lady in the middle of the photo in black with the frilly collar is Elizabeth Martha Knott ( she and her husband remained in the UK).
The real interest is in Eileen M F Kennedy. The only reference to her is in the catholic register for Harrington Street, Dublin in September 1894. There are no other details for her ( no parents named etc and the entry has not been numbered within the sequential sequence). With assistance from others the OP has linked this lady with an Ellen Kennedy born in July 1894 to William Kennedy and Mary Lawson who was baptised in St Andrews Dublin in the same month. She is also recorded in the civil register in Dublin in 1894 (initially as Ellen Kennedy but the first name has subsequently been amended in a different hand to Eileen). This girl appears with her family in Dublin in both 1901 ( as Nelly) and 1911 ( as Ellen). The whole family then seems to disappear.
I am struggling to understand why a child would be baptised as Ellen in July then rebaptised in September in a different church as Eileen Mabel Florence and would then be known as Ellen/Nelly before resurrecting the other name to marry. I am sure they are not the same person, but I can’t find anything at all on Eileen MF between the baptism in 1894 and the marriage in 1917.
The OP has found a possible linked death in South Africa for a William Kennedy who died in 1941 age 86 born in Dublin. She believes this is Eileen’s father. He was retired from the South African Police.
Apart from being convinced that William Kennedy/Mary Lawson is not the correct line, I am struggling with this one.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 10:46 BST (UK) »

"  When did  bow ties and trilbies become popular? "

There seems to be some confusion as to whether theses hats are trilby's or fedoras.

The trilby first came to prominence in a stage play, where strangely it was a woman's

hat, in 1894. :D

It might be my eyes but I can't see anybody in the ventilation intake and the arch seems

be damage to the photo. If it wasn't for the naval personnel it could also have been a

photographic set.  So my assumption is that they are possibly emigrating just before

the first world war.   But that's a total guess ;D

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 12:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks tomkin, these people look very similarly dressed.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)