Author Topic: Uniform identification German army in WW2  (Read 287 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Uniform identification German army in WW2
« on: Monday 06 May 19 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Would be very grateful of someone's expert help. Three of my wife's Polish uncles were conscripted into the German army in WW2. I have attached their images. I would be grateful for any help identifying which regiment they served in what their rank was.

Thank you

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform identification 1
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 May 19 22:49 BST (UK) »
Roy,second photo certainly look's like SS with the Totenkopf lapel badges.a lot of occupied countries
raised SS units,France,Denmark,Spain to mention a few the Poles did not but did serve in this unit.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 May 19 23:20 BST (UK) »
Photo 2 is not SS; it is German Panzer (Tank) uniform.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 May 19 07:17 BST (UK) »
Panzer uniform pink piping, also waffenfarbe for anti-tank troops. Third one is 1943 field cap and jacket. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 May 19 07:26 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if this will help. It looks fairly comprehensive.

Illustrations at the bottom of the page can be clicked on to enlarge:
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Germany/HB/HB-9.html

There will probably be similar elsewhere on the internet.  :)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 May 19 07:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for everyone’s help. Talking further with family that photo 2 is from the panzer division fits in with anecdotes

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 May 19 07:41 BST (UK) »
They all look the same to me,  ;) but this shows similar collar insignias like Uncle 1 has on his uniform and it indicates he was "Enlisted" ...

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Germany/HB/img/30-451-09b-5.jpg

(shame we can't see his other insignias in the photo)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 May 19 09:43 BST (UK) »
Do you know which panzer division? I think 8th Panzer contained a lot of Baltic Germans. There must have been a lot of German blood in the family, which was quite common in Poland and the Baltics, Hanseatic towns etc.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 May 19 10:46 BST (UK) »
Do you know which panzer division? I think 8th Panzer contained a lot of Baltic Germans. There must have been a lot of German blood in the family, which was quite common in Poland and the Baltics, Hanseatic towns etc.

Hi unfortunately not. I will ask my sister in law. He was born either Kottulin or Zawadaskie, we haven't been able to trace his exact birth place yet, though we know his DOB. The family eventually settling in Lubliniec. As you say as the area was Prussia/Silesia, their ethnicity was mixed and somewhat due to personal preference. Some within the same family considered themselves more Polish while others more German.

I have a recollection recorded by his deceased sister:

"he was also responsible for the delivery of messages to the front and would carry messages which he then had to eat for security reasons. He delivered these on his motorbike. On one occasion he got lost/separated from the rest of his unit. His German army colleagues wanted to rescue him. I think the guidance he was given from his commanders was to drive up and over a specific hill in a continuous loop which seemed to convince the Russians that the German forces were much larger than just one tank.

His sister also recalls that one German officer pulled him up and accused him of not being a proper German - he wouldn't of course have been "pure-bred" and we can only imagine that he also got a 3 or a 4 on the Volksliste categorisation which the Germans forced on those in the Silesia region. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksliste). Friedel got angry and said that in that case he should then not have been conscripted. The officer perished on the Russian front."