Author Topic: birth date/ year on adoption  (Read 991 times)

Offline odbsmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
birth date/ year on adoption
« on: Tuesday 07 May 19 14:20 BST (UK) »
I'm doing a bit of research on my grandaughter's Great Grandmother (on her mothers side). As I understand, "A" was adopted after her mother died and was about 2 or 3 years old. This was early 1930's. It a bit of a strange one all around. According to records I can find, the father married 2nd wife before 1st wife died. In the 1939 register "A"'s 2 older brothers were living with their Dad and step mother.

Anyway, "A"  remembers, or was told names of her real parents, and I can find what I believe are her original and "new" birth registration but the years are one year different. The  original 1933 and"new" 1934.        Is this possible?
Hudman, Souch, Grinyer, King, Nightingale, Sandoz, Gateley, Findley

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: birth date/ year on adoption
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 15:06 BST (UK) »
Presumably you're looking at the General Register Office (GRO) index of births.

The birth of "A" will be listed there, but her adoption details won't as they are not added to the birth index.  Adoption records aren't available to the public, but she can apply for her own.

I suspect that the 1934 birth record you have found is for a different person with a similar name.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 15:26 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking at 1939 register with both birth dates
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 19:36 BST (UK) »
I'm doing a bit of research on my grandaughter's Great Grandmother (on her mothers side). As I understand, "A" was adopted after her mother died and was about 2 or 3 years old. This was early 1930's. It a bit of a strange one all around. According to records I can find, the father married 2nd wife before 1st wife died. In the 1939 register "A"'s 2 older brothers were living with their Dad and step mother.

Anyway, "A"  remembers, or was told names of her real parents, and I can find what I believe are her original and "new" birth registration but the years are one year different. The  original 1933 and"new" 1934.        Is this possible?

As Carol has said its likely that the two registrations are for different people.  However there is a slight chance that it  may be the same person, are the two registrations cross referenced in any way? If they are then maybe there are other explanations (just thinking that other details may have been added to the registration at a later date)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline odbsmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 19:51 BST (UK) »
"A" is still alive so will not appear on 1939 register.
I wasn't aware there would be no record of adoption "birth", how do adopted people get on for birth certs if they don't know they are adopted?
 The names "A" remembers lead me to one birth.
 Her current name lead me to the second.

I will have to ask if I can have a copy of her birth cert.

Offline odbsmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 22:22 BST (UK) »
I have a breakthorough...... a sideways breakthrough.
 "A" did find a relative some years back and had the door shut in her face.
 There was something about "A"'s mother dying in the workhouse and "A" being there too.  "A"'s father divorced the mother 1933 (NA) and "A" was not his child.

Anyone know much about workhouse records? (Cambridgeshire)

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 22:46 BST (UK) »
I have a breakthorough...... a sideways breakthrough.
 "A" did find a relative some years back and had the door shut in her face.
 There was something about "A"'s mother dying in the workhouse and "A" being there too.  "A"'s father divorced the mother 1933 (NA) and "A" was not his child.

Anyone know much about workhouse records? (Cambridgeshire)

That had crossed my mind as her brothers were still with their dad and that he had remarried prior to 1st wife's death!  I wondered if the two possible birth registrations that you found  for "A"(if they are connected)  could relate to a name change possibly because "A"s father had been added to the birth certificate?
Not sure how to search the workhouse records, but I'm sure someone will.  "A"s mother death cert and/or burial may give some clues!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 22:58 BST (UK) »
Is it possible the 2nd birth reg was for the father's name to be removed (if he protested) being as he wasn't genuinely her father & maybe the adoption wasn't official as such...just a thought

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 07:55 BST (UK) »
I wasn't aware there would be no record of adoption "birth", how do adopted people get on for birth certs if they don't know they are adopted?

They get a new certificate taken from the entry made in the Adopted Children Register (which you won't find indexed on-line). The short version (which many children may have been shown) makes no mention of adoption so they may not realise at that stage.

it sounds like in this case there may not have been an adoption, and with some confusion over parentage/marriage, what you are probably looking at is a re-registration. You would need to get certificates from both entries to work out the most likely story.