Author Topic: William Burgin/Burgoyne/Burgoine/Burgoin - Stokenham, Devon  (Read 120 times)

Offline mrsksp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Burgin/Burgoyne/Burgoine/Burgoin - Stokenham, Devon
« on: Tuesday 07 May 19 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hello
Looking to trace a William Burgin father of Samuel (spelt Samewell). Samuel at some point migrated to Heanor in Derbyshire,
Samuel's baptism transcription gives date as 16.02.1726 - Anglican.
Parents are named as William and Anne.  Samuel's baptism took place in Stokenham, Devon, so rightly or wrongly I have made an assumption that Samuel's parents; or certainly one of them will come from around Stokenham.
Then;
I came across a William Burgin and Anne Standford who were married on 6th Feb 1720 at St Giles, Cripplegate, London.  Anne Standford was bap 8th July 1698 at Southwick, Hampshire but London/Southwick seems a long way from Stokenham!! and I have no evidence to tie all of them together as a family.
I believe that William and Anne had 10 children (including Samuel) the youngest being
Thomas Burgain 12.04.1741 all of which baptised in Stokenham.  As I have progressed the name has changed from Burgoyne to Burgin with many other spellings in between.

I have copies of St Michael and All Angels baptisms at Stokenham 1725-1812 which covers most of the children.  I also have a copy of the Oath-takers and tax-payers in Georgian Stokenham plus Stokeham Milita which names a "Will" Burgin.

Could there be another William and Anne around the same time that married in the Devon area?

Is anyone able to help please.

Thank you

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: William Burgin/Burgoyne/Burgoine/Burgoin - Stokenham, Devon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 09:18 BST (UK) »
A William BURGIN married a Mary LYE at Stokenham in 1697. A William BURGAINE married an Anne GOODEARE at Sherford in 1720/21. Sherford is about 2 miles from Stokenham. Try http://www.our4bears.net/parishes/Sherford/Sherford_intro.htm  and https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Sherford for further information.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is a PCC Will for a William Burgin 1759 of Stockingham Devon.
I think Stockingham is a misspelling of Stockenham.
Unfortunately it leaves his estate to his wife and children,grandchildren with no names.
Very helpful!
William Burgoin buried 22 Aug 1758.Stokenham

ps there is also a Samuel Burgin/Burgoine having children Anne and John in 1663.

Ciderdrinker

Offline mrsksp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 11:48 BST (UK) »
Will follow up your suggestions. Many thanks.