Author Topic: Baptism at Spaldwick for Stephen Pearson  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
  • You can't beat a centre parting...
    • View Profile
Baptism at Spaldwick for Stephen Pearson
« on: Tuesday 07 May 19 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

One of my 3xg grandfathers was Stephen Pearson who spent most of his life living in Ringstead, Nhants. In the 1851 & 1861 census his birthplace is shown as Spaldwick, Hunts. In 1871 he then says Cotterstock, Hunts. All three give an approximate birth year of 1796. I wonder if anyone could help me to find his baptism?

Many Thanks

Rob
Grant, Green, Beyless, Coltman, Willis, Judge, Withers, Curtis, Ison, Pearson, Sims, Meadows, Gadsby, Burgess, Wilson, Keeling, Hooke, Suffolk, Shortland, Beeby, Rolfe, Brann, Sims, Henson, Warren, Pyle, Ball, Beck, Spencer, Kitchener, Washbrook, Sewell, Wheway, Hastings, Friswell, Redhouse, Plantagenet

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism at Spaldwick for Stephen Pearson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 18:08 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Sorry I can't find a baptism, but I wondered if you had seen this?

26 Mar 1803
Robert Pearson, his wife Jane and their children, Jane (aged twelve), Stephen (aged seven), William (aged four) and Robert (aged about nine months) to be removed from Spaldwick to Kimbolton.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/caa0dd94-5562-4984-b00a-8945bf992546

I wonder if it might help?

Regards,
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Daisy

That's amazing - I never thought of looking there! It certainly looks like a fit. I've just had a quick search for a marriage for Robert and Jane and bingo

Name: Robert Pearson & Jane Spencer were married 16 Nov 1789 at Keyston - just up the road... well it would be in this day and age but not if you were trapsing around with four young children and no money...

Time for some more checking!

Many thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Rob

Grant, Green, Beyless, Coltman, Willis, Judge, Withers, Curtis, Ison, Pearson, Sims, Meadows, Gadsby, Burgess, Wilson, Keeling, Hooke, Suffolk, Shortland, Beeby, Rolfe, Brann, Sims, Henson, Warren, Pyle, Ball, Beck, Spencer, Kitchener, Washbrook, Sewell, Wheway, Hastings, Friswell, Redhouse, Plantagenet

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 08:43 BST (UK) »
Imfo  northants bapt index, steven pearson son of thomas.elizabeth born 22.6.1807, at northampton st giles, there are 4 robert refs.?????
marriages 1700-1837 steven pearson==ann gamble, 9.8.1831 northampton, st sepulcure, lic.
marriage steven pearson, widower, of keyston hunts.==ann baker, widow, 2.11.1788 thrapston.
and 8 refs to robert.
Margaret.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 11:08 BST (UK) »
Jane Pierson, wife of Robert, buried in Kimbolton on 23rd January 1809

Robert Pierson, age 46, buried in Kimbolton, St Andrew, on 3rd October 1813

David

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret and David - thanks for the replies...

Margaret - what does 'imfo' mean? I googled it and found one answer! Unfortunately I don't think that the Stephen Pearson b.1807 is mine - Mine stated in the census that he was born in Spaldwick, and also the dates don't fit too well - but thanks for the info, I'll put it in my 'might come in useful' file!

David - Another way of spelling 'Pearson'! They look like they are the parents in the removal order and so I am adding this to them in my tree. What a young age to die..

Again many thanks to you both.

Rob 

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 10:54 BST (UK) »
There was a thriving Baptist church in Spaldwick at that time.  If Stephen's family belonged to it there would be no christening record for him, as he would have to wait till he was old enough to make his own decision in the matter.  Hunts record office have some information about births recorded by Spaldwick Baptist church, which is helpful in that they give the actual birth dates of new children. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Gillg

Many thanks for this tipoff. It never occurred to me that a Baptist wouldn't have a Christening record!
If Stephen's family were Baptists it could be of course that they may well have already moved away from Spaldwick by the time Stephen was was old enough to decide to be baptised. I'm not likely to get to Huntingdon Record Office in the near future so it will have to go into my research log for the time being.. but it is a very useful pointer.

Thanks again.

Rob

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 June 19 06:44 BST (UK) »
reply from daiseypetal, Robert/jane pearson, had a son
Oliver who died at kimbolton16.1.1808.Margaret.