Author Topic: Lankester  (Read 1102 times)

Offline kees kamhoot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lankester
« on: Tuesday 07 May 19 21:22 BST (UK) »
Dear reader,

Looking for information about Thomas Lankester born in England abt 1600 , died 22 may 1630 possibly Amersfoort NL . Married with Hendrickgen Willemse van Rheenen , married in Amersfoort (NL) in 1626. He had a son  Thomas born 1627 Amersfoort NL. Found some descendants of him but not his ancestors, can someone help to find them ??

Regards
Kees Kamhoot ( NL)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lankester
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 22:14 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat kees kamhoot.  :)

Do you have any idea where in England Thomas came from?
It would be virtually impossible to search for him, and know if he was the correct person, without having a more specific place, or knowing more about him.

I presume you have his name from his marriage in 1626. I am not familiar with Dutch marriage registers. Did Thomas sign his name? (I would have thought pretty unlikely in 1626, although if he did, that might give another clue).  I am just wondering about the spelling of 'Lankester'.
It is not a common 'English' spelling, and looks as if it may have been a variation of 'Lancaster', possibly written by the person who filled in the register - the minister, or some clerk.

English parish registers become more and more sparse the further back you go, and by 1620 the coverage within England will be pretty intermittent. Registers were lost, not completed, eaten and rotted away, to name a few reasons why! So it is always very difficult to find anybody by the early 1600s.

Any other information you may have about him would be very useful.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline kees kamhoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 May 19 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
No the Dutch reccords only tell he was in the army and married with a Dutch girl in the City of Amersfoort.
Below all i found about this family:

1-Thomas Lankester [483] was born about 1600 in Groot Brit. and died on 22 May 1630 aged about 30.

Thomas married Henrickgen Willemse van Rheenen [484] on 26 Feb 1626 in Amersfoort (UT). Henrickgen was born about 1600 in Amersfoort (UT). They had one son: Thomas.

2-Thomas Lankester [481] was born on 11 Mar 1627 in Amersfoort (UT) and died about 1687 in Amersfoort (UT) aged about 60.

General Notes: Barbier, chirurgijn

Thomas married Geertruyd Reyniers [482], daughter of Jansz Reyniers [1863],  on 10 Jan 1652 in Gorsel (NB). Geertruyd was born on 16 Nov 1628 in Zutphen (Ov) and died about 1657 in Elst (GL) aged about 29. They had two children: Reynier and Thomas.

3-Reynier Lankester [479] was born on 12 Nov 1654 in Elst (GL) and died about 1694 in 's Gravenpolder aged about 40.

General Notes: Chirurgijn at first militairy( Capt. Merwede), lateron burgerlijk Schepen van 's Gravenpolder

Reynier married Catharina Cuijpers [480], daughter of Pieter Cuijpers [3031] and Grietgen Hendriks [3032]. Catharina was born on 5 Mar 1656 in Bergen Op Zoom (NB) and died on 30 Dec 1722 in Goes (ZL) aged 66. They had one son: Reinier.

4-Reinier Lankester [477] was born on 4 Apr 1686 in Bergen Op Zoom (NB) and died about 1729 in Goes (ZL) aged about 43.

General Notes: poorter te Goes 4 juni 1710. Lid schoenmakers en gareelmakers gilde.
later boekhouder en deken gilde.  bron VZS 1993 pag 46

Reinier married Sarah Leins [478] on 29 May 1719 in Goes (ZL). Sarah was born on 28 Oct 1693 in Goes (ZL) and died about 1729 in Goes (ZL) aged about 36. They had one son: Leyn.

3-Thomas Lankester [3027] was born on 25 Jan 1657 in Elst (GL).

Thomas next married Elisabeth Van Breidenbach [800] on 16 Aug 1657 in Homoet.

Thomas next married Maiken Rochus [3029] on 28 Feb 1658 in Elst (GL).

Thomas next married Engeltjen Hendricksen [3030] on 7 Oct 1660 in Elst (GL). Engeltjen was born about 1640.

Yes the familyname is strange,but my name is also in different versions written.
Kamhoot/ Camhoot / Kamhout / Camhout . When they did get a baby they passed at first the pub and after this they wend to the church to register i think ;-) I even found Cammmoot !!!!

Think the same happened with the Lancaster / Lankester name.
The first Thomas i have found died young but had 1 son, he arrived from England with his army unit. He possibly died in battle.  In Amersfoort was an English regiment posted but there are no reccords available anymore. Tryed to find army reccord from the UK but was not able to find anything, think it is not digital available yet.

Hope someone knows how to find a link.

Kind regards
Kees Kamhoot
The Netherlands
www.kamhoot.nl

Offline kees kamhoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 May 19 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Found something but do not know if useable.

Parish Records Baptisms
Name: Thomas Lankester
County: London
Parish: St Margaret's Church Westminster
Year: 1595

The year could fit ( abt 1600) died 1630 so 35 years ?????

need to find out what happened with this Thomas, did he wend out the UK or...... ???

Kind regards
Kees Kamhoot