Author Topic: REME record help, please  (Read 179 times)

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Member
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
Re: REME record help, please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 May 19 13:05 BST (UK) »
Me again!

Can you tell me where/how you acquired the 'tracer card' - I haven't seen one of these before
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 May 19 15:53 BST (UK) »
Tracer cards are very brief summaries of postings/dates on WW2 service records held by some military museums.  I haven't seen any list that shows which museums have them and which don't.  Those I've seen are often not very good in that context is missing and mis transcriptions from mis transcriptions can be totally mystifying. 

Do a net search for "Tracer cards WW2" and the first hit will provide something to look at.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Member
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 May 19 17:28 BST (UK) »
I see from the 'first hit' when I did a search as you suggested, that it's a bit hit and miss as to whether you get anything useful from the Tracer cards (assuming that it is possible to find/see them) that cannot be got from the Service Records, so for now I'll just tuck the info away until I next go to the REME museum. Thank you for clarifying what they are
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)