Author Topic: REME record help, please  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Nellypooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
REME record help, please
« on: Tuesday 07 May 19 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

My Dad has been trying to find his Dad's movements during WW2 in the REME. He has just been sent a pdf of a tracer card. It's all confusing for us, could some kind soul help please?

Specifically, we need to pin down where he was in February of 1944 or thereabouts. There is a line that seems to say something like "Holding Btn & SOS 21 AG 17.2.44" What would that have been and where? is it likely he was at home before and/or after that time?

Any help gratefully accepted!

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: REME record help, please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 22:21 BST (UK) »
We really need to see it in context.  The sentence reads Holding Battalion and Struck off Strength 21st Army Group. 

Each part of that can be understood.  A holding battalion is a unit where men "mark time" waiting to be sent somewhere else.  SOS means "leaves" ie is removed from the books of...  21st Army Group was the army organisation formed in 1943 of British Second Army and First Canadian Army for the invasion of Europe and the subsequent defeat of the enemy in France then Germany.

Thus although the sentence is now translated, without the context ie the entries around that one, we are none the wiser.  Is he going to or from the holding battalion.  Where was he going to when he leaves 21 Army Group.  Only the context and surrounding entries will tell.  What were the dates?

Can you post the document?

Forgive me - forgot to say welcome to Rootschat!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Nellypooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Max, thank you so much for the reply. I am trying to attach the image but not succeeding.

Does it need to be online somewhere, for me to link to it? Or can it be uploaded here somehow please? I tried to attach it to the opening post, and it said it had but I don't see it.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 22:34 BST (UK) »
In your reply, you will see "Attachments and other options" below the reply box.

Click on that and there will be the box "Attach" for you to browse your own library for the document, click so it goes in the box (a pdf should work) but note the maximum size it can be.

Give it a go.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Nellypooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 22:38 BST (UK) »
It was exceeding maximum size  ::)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 07:37 BST (UK) »
OK now! 

On 3 May 1944 he sailed with a draft (a large party of men) given the code RDWGO (doesn't mean anything) for East Africa where he was with 401 Base Workshop from 9 July 1944 until March 1946 when he returned to UK for discharge.  There is a short period November/December 1944 when he was with 62 CA Maintenance Unit also in East Africa.
To the best of my knowledge, 401 Base Workshop was at Nanyuki near Nairobi.

The earlier entries you asked about was him moving via a holding battalion (in UK) to Western Command Static Workshop thus leaving a unit in 21 Army Group where he had been before.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Nellypooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 08:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, I've sent you a private message (hope that's ok) for further clarification on earlier 1944 if possible.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 09:43 BST (UK) »

Forgive me, I mis-read the month of interest as September which is why I started in May, I shall make amends privately as you request.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 May 19 13:03 BST (UK) »
MaxD was very helpful to me with regard to my Uncle's service with REME in WW2 Nellypooks. I have two other suggestions/questions.

1.   Have you obtained your granddad's Service Records?

If not it is really worthwhile doing so.

2.   If you do have them, I suggest you contact the REME museum who are also very helpful - although there is a cost for interpreting the records. When I did so, I got a great deal of background information which I valued greatly, although the Corps Historian who helped me has now retired, so I cannot comment about the current historian's approach to interpreting Service Records. S/he may only offer as much as MaxD can!

Good luck with your research
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)