Author Topic: Packets of old negatives  (Read 3125 times)

Offline rvchrr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Packets of old negatives
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 12:12 BST (UK) »
Munchies, you can scan your negs as you have done and use an image editor to invert them.  Here's one of yours I've quickly inverted using the free editor IrfanView.

Roger

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 12:55 BST (UK) »
Oh my word that’s lovely
What kind of app do I need. Am looking at iPad compatible as my computer is not working or is it easier to buy a scanner for photos and do it that way
Am very excited now to see what I can find out
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline rvchrr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 13:28 BST (UK) »
These days I'm sure you can scan or even just take a photo of the negative and it will invert pretty well in an image editor.  Quality will obviously be dependent on your scanner or camera but I should think little will be lost in the inversion process.  Scanner will probably be better than photo just because the neg will be completely static as it's scanned.  The image editor I mentioned, IrfanView, is a popular free download.   

Offline rvchrr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 14:02 BST (UK) »

Offline Hystericalwriter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 16:21 BST (UK) »
I bought a cheapish scanner for colour slides and 35mm negatives, but I have a shed load of black & white negatives which wouldn't go into the scanner. An old flatbed scanner had some facility to scan these different size negatives. In the end I went to Jessops and had over 250 scanned and put onto a CD, which I can access on my desktop. Bit expensive, but they did a good job and although i have prints of some of them, there was quite a lot I hadn't seen before.
OWEN(s): Llangurig, MGY; JOHN: Treherbert GLA; LEWIS: Margam GLA; BOON: Brixham, DEV
VITTERY:Brixham, DEV; FRANCE: Brixham, DEV
GLOVER: Parkham, DEV ;BOIT: Wellington, SOM
YOUNG: Castle Combe, WIL; LIVINGSTONE: Limavady NI; CAMPBELL: Ballykelly, Derry

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 16:30 BST (UK) »
Jessops, or any independent camera shop may well be able to assist you at a more reasonable cost. I scanned what felt like hundreds of negatives for a friend ages back, it was very tedious, but they were pleased.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 18:08 BST (UK) »
For an iPad this link may be useful - https://www.picscannergold.com/blog/2017/06/27/film-negatives/

;D ;D ;D ;D
That link worked amazingly have just spent a couple of hours going through lots of negatives surpassingly the ones from 1920s have come out the sharpest. I have also ordered my self a scanner as it took over 90 mins to scan a picture work out how to edit it and send it from my sons computer to me
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline rvchrr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 18:12 BST (UK) »
Excellent!

Offline Palladium

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 19:13 BST (UK) »
I like Irfanview - I've used it for years.  :)
WESTMORLAND/LANCASHIRE
Heap, Armer, McNamara, Nelson
ESSEX/NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Humphrey, Potton, Snow