Author Topic: Sailing ship Arundel - not Arundel Castle  (Read 5818 times)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Sailing ship Arundel - not Arundel Castle
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 12:47 BST (UK) »
From LLoyds register of Shipping.

Malky

Wrong ARUNDEL Malky.
I think this is the one in question.
ARUNDEL Built in Quebec in 1850, 868  tons,
Owned by Stuckey, Captained By Mills in 1852/53 and later. Port of Registry Bridgwater. Certified A1 by Lloyd's in 1851
This seems to be the same vessel as the one mention in the newspaper reports as given by majm.
Her official number, (of no consequence in this instance) was 5536.
Her 1853 logbooks which will prove exactly where she sailed should be in TNA Kew

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4067637

ARUNDEL, Mills, was still inMelbourne 14th March 1853 according to the Liverpool Mercury. 15/3/1853

As ARUNDEL would have returned to a UK port in 1853. then the voyage we are interested in would be  recorded in her first 1853 logbook.

If the document has survived, it should give basic details of the voyage and record any births and deaths and major illness. You will have to ask TNA for a quote. Be sure to ask for the voyage commencing on the 25th June 1852 and ending Nov/24/1852.

Seems she docked in Bombay on the return voyage, and sailed from there on the 23/06/1853  arrived Liverpool 25/Oct/1853.

If the quote is totally unreasonable. Let me know and I will endeavour to take a look for you next time I visit TNA.

You could also view details of the route of the voyage, by consulting Lloyd's List. Available on microfilm from The National Library of Australia.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline odysseyov

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 May 19 00:05 BST (UK) »
 Great info, Seaweed;  I've requested a quote as you suggested and will let you know what happens.   Thanks, JM, for explaining the process at NLA.   A library card has been ordered but it will take ten or so days to arrive.   I don't imagine I'd be able to access microfiche records online and as I seldom (never) visit Canberra (that's where the politicians hang out; Erk!) it looks as if TNA may be the only resource.   I do thank you both, and everyone else who's answered and will post the results (in case anyone else is looking for the same ship/voyage).   Rootschat truly is the greatest resource.   NW
MINTON, MURPHY,  SHEPHARD/SHEPHERD, WHITEOAK, WONNOCOTT,
WOOD, HARRIS.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 May 19 03:24 BST (UK) »
 :D  Confirming info here to match up with Seaweed's finds  .... two newspaper cuttings ... one an advert confirming departure for Bombay and the other the shipping details with the more accurate ... 868 tons  :D    Notice the vessel is referred to as a 'ship' and that it left without any passengers ... 1853 ... so huge rush of shipping bringing passengers to NSW and Vic, due to gold rushes ... very few passengers left the colonies ... many return voyages departed empty or without export cargo, and often were without experienced crew too ! 

The Argus, 8 Jan 1853  (Melbourne, Victoria newspaper)
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4788791

(Advertisement)

FOR BOMBAY DIRECT   To sail about the 14th January 1853
The first class fast sailing ship, ARUNDEL, 900 tons register, John Mills, commander.  She has very superior accommodation for passengers, both cabin and intermediate.  For freight or passage apply to John Orr & Co.

The Argus 19 Jan 1853
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4789054
Shipping Intelligence
Cleared Out
January 18, Arundel, ship, 868 tons, J. Mills, for Bombay, in ballast, No passengers.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 May 19 04:35 BST (UK) »
Another Arundel?

Supplementary List of the emigrant ships sailing from Whitby. Taken from Dr. English's "Whity Prints."(Whitby)? Diary of Events.
The brig ADDISON, ships GUINARE and KING WILLIAM sailed from Whitby with emigrants for Quebec.
It will be seen from the principal list, that the Addison and Guinare sailed for Quebec in 1830. It may be a second voyage, or a mistake in the year, as the record in the Whitby Repository would certainly be correct.
The COLUMBUS sailed from Whiby (Whitby) for Quebec, with 245 emigrants
Further particulars are given in the principal list.
May 8th. The ship HINDOO sailed from Whitby with 106 emigrants. On May 9th the barque CAPT. ROSS with 28, and on May 10th the barque ARUNDEL with 173, all for Quebec. (Marmaduke Jame's Diary)
The Hindoo is mentioned in the principal list with trifling differences. The Capt. Ross and Arundel are not mentioned. Weatherill's particulars, p.157: Capt. Ross, barque 310 tons, built in 1834 by R.& N. Campion, Whitby. I cannot find any particulars of the Arundel.

I learn something new every day. Never knew that Whitby was a port for emigrants.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 May 19 05:30 BST (UK) »
Is it the barque Arundel you are looking for?

Wednesday 15 May 1889
By cablegram. The ship Rangitiki and the barque Loweswater arrived at London on the 13th inst (Monday last). The Rangitiki (Feb. 1st) was 104 days out and the Loweswater 100. (Feb. 3rd)

Shipping Arrived London16
Barque Triton from Wellington, Feb. 19th
barque Lurline, from Lyttelton, Feb. 17th
barque Oscar from Auckland, Feb. 13th
barque Arundel from Bluff Harbour, Jan. 27th

https://collections.rmg.co.uk/archive/objects/510458.html

https://newspaperarchive.com/london-shipping-gazette-and-commercial-advertiser-oct-19-1837-p-2/

Oct. 18—The barque Arundel, from Odessa, is on the bank by the entrance at Sharpness Point. We cannot say whether she was hurt or not.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 May 19 20:47 BST (UK) »
A little more,
The ship ARUNDEL which we have already talked about and which I have no doubts is the vessel in question. was built in Quebec in 1850 by Thomas H Oliver. She was 140.0 feet in length, 30.7 breadth. 21.8 Depth. Oliver was the largest shipbuilder in Quebec City in the 1850's. My guess is there must be some records of the company somewhere which may include technical drawings of ARUNDEL. A long shot but an email to The Naval Museum of Quebec may be worth a go.
info@navalmuseumofquebec.com.
As you will note ARUNDEL was owned by Stuckey. From what I can find out. He was a Banker with interests in Shipping and a big noise in Bridgwater. Again I suspect there will be company records to follow up.
Try a mail to secretary@bridgwatermuseum.org.uk
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline odysseyov

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, everyone,
Sorry to be so long in offering thanks again to Seaweed, MAJM, barryd and Hallmark.   Seaweed's information ties up with the passengers I'm interested in and is confirmed by JM's newspaper items via "Trove."   This cuts the earlier "Arundel" out, since Seaweed's "Arundel" (matching tonnage 868) wasn't built 'till 1850.  I will certainly email the museums you suggest, Seaweed and post the answers if they add to the story.   Hoping to spend time during July/August to pursue all the leads.   Cheers.   NW
WOOD, HARRIS.

Offline odysseyov

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hi to Seaweed, MAJM, Malky et al,
The answer came back from TNA -  £50.70 which sounds quite a lot but may have been worthwhile if there were any more information in the Log than list of crew and crew agreements, which wasn't what I was seeking.   The answer from Quebec bounced back immediately - ie address not found;  but I've re-sent using info on their website.   The Bridgewater Museum didn't bounce so that is still in play;  and I've just received an acknowledgement from Quebec although the person concerned is on holiday until June 2.  Still, hope springs eternal, doesn't it?   More to come ;)   
WOOD, HARRIS.

Offline odysseyov

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 September 19 03:08 BST (UK) »
Hi to all who participated
No further information was available about Sailing ship "Arundel", but again I thank everyone for all the helpful suggestions.
Can anyone please remind me now how to close this thread?  ???
WOOD, HARRIS.