Author Topic: Sailing ship Arundel - not Arundel Castle  (Read 5817 times)

Offline odysseyov

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sailing ship Arundel - not Arundel Castle
« on: Wednesday 08 May 19 05:28 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please help with information regarding the 'Arundel' ship which left from Plymouth and reached Melbourne about Nov 24, 1852 according to local newspapers?   I have done numerous searches for this vessel but am continually referred to the 'Arundel Castle', which was in service much later.  I have no details of where the ship was registered but have tried to find some records in both Plymouth and Liverpool but nothing shows up.   The Ships List and various other lists/websites simply don't have an 'Arundel.  Any ideas, anyone?   ;)
MINTON, MURPHY,  SHEPHARD/SHEPHERD, WHITEOAK, WONNOCOTT,
WOOD, HARRIS.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Sailing ship Arundel - not Arundel Castle
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 05:51 BST (UK) »
From LLoyds register of Shipping.

Malky

Offline odysseyov

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 06:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Flatty, thanks for your help.   Goes to show it doesn't pay to believe anything you read in newspapers - they quoted 868 tons in 1852 - unless the ship had a remake (?);  and the master is given as John Mills.   As I'm completely ignorant when it comes to ships, how do i translate L Hmp (somewhere in Hampshire?) and Brxb'm?   I'd really like to have more details about this particular ship;  is there a site i can consult to have the description explained?    Any advice welcome. :)
WOOD, HARRIS.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 06:14 BST (UK) »
Some British newspaper sightings:  (John Mills was the Commander of the vessel on its voyage to Melbourne arriving Nov 1852)

The Cork Examiner, 31 March 1852
Ships News Queenstown
ARRIVED …. Arundel, Mills

The Belfast News 30 July 1952
Ship News Belfast
Arrived at Plymouth on the 24th instant, the Arundel, Mills, from London, and sailed, on the 25th inst, for Port Phillip

The Morning Post, London August 14, 1853
Shipping intelligence, Bombay
Departures  23 June  The ship Arundel, Mills, for Liverpool

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 06:20 BST (UK) »
Your profile shows you are based in Queensland.  If you apply for a Library card via the National Library of Australia, you can obtain access to their e resources, which includes the digitised newspapers including British ones back to the 17th century.

https://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard/

https://www.nla.gov.au/blogs/behind-the-scenes/2015/11/04/eresources-getting-started

https://www.nla.gov.au/app/eresources/ 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 07:02 BST (UK) »
The passenger list for Arundel  Nov 1852 is available at Ancestry and, glancing at your surnames of interest,I note on board 2 people MINTON and 2 people WOODS.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 08:51 BST (UK) »
"L Hmp (somewhere in Hampshire?) and Brxb'm?"

L Hmp  (Littlehampton) and Brxb'm (Brixham)

A snipit of info' here

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nrk/

"Seaweed" may come along with more information, as he is the maritime expert.

Malky

Offline odysseyov

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 09:29 BST (UK) »
Wow!   What a wonderful bunch you are!.   First of all, thanks, Sue, I do have the passenger list and have traced my ancestors from Clerkenwell to Aus and to the present day - at least, the ones that were on that ship.  It was details of the ship I sought - construction, length of time it would take for the journey, conditions on board, did they call at any ports, what provisions did they have on board etc.   JM of MAJM has provided some of the answers through the Belfast News, i.e. that Arundel departed 25th June for Port Phillip (Melbourne), so I know the voyage took from June 25 to Nov 24 - my thanks for that, JM.   I do have online membership of NLA and have spent time searching the Aus papers but had no idea it was possible to access British papers through "Trove".   Thanks for that, too - I'll know better. next time.   Malky (may I call you that?) it was great to have the terms explained, much appreciated;  now it would be nice if 'seaweed' joined in.   It's possible to find out all this information about Brunel's 'Great Britain' but only the barest essentials about 'Arundel'.  Maybe there's a 'sister' ship somewhere that's more famous and could provide a model???
NW   
WOOD, HARRIS.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 11:58 BST (UK) »
British newspapers are not via Trove,  they  are available via your library card and the e-resources on the live links as per

Your profile shows you are based in Queensland.  If you apply for a Library card via the National Library of Australia, you can obtain access to their e resources, which includes the digitised newspapers including British ones back to the 17th century.

https://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard/

https://www.nla.gov.au/blogs/behind-the-scenes/2015/11/04/eresources-getting-started

https://www.nla.gov.au/app/eresources/ 

JM

JM