Author Topic: Lead with the Miller family  (Read 547 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Lead with the Miller family
« on: Wednesday 08 May 19 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Today I received the death certificate for my 4x great-grandad, Henry Miller. He was born in Germany in around 1821, the son of John Miller, a bricklayer. His wife was Elizabeth White, also German, born in around 1818, the daughter of Francis White, a carpenter.

Neither appear to have been naturalised, and both appeared to have Anglicised their names. They lived in Newark, Notts. I got Henryís death certificate from 1898 in Newark, and miraculously it was registered by a sister-in-law. It gives her name as Frances Newton, of Smithís Row, Water Lane, Newark. I canít find her on the 1891 Census. Can anyone help me?

Iíd appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lead with the Miller family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 08:35 BST (UK) »
There is a Francis Newton at Smiths Row -Male - Married age 45 occ General Labourer.  No wife there
RG12/2714 f75 p10
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 08:38 BST (UK) »
Thatís all I could find too. Odd coincidence, but it did say sister-in-law. Surely that would make Mr. Newton (whoever he is) his brother? That is odd.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 08:38 BST (UK) »
I think that entry should have her as a Female.  1881 as wife of James Newton
RG11/3377 f26 p46
Frances Newton   Married   Female  age 37   born Harby, Leicestershire,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 08:38 BST (UK) »
I think that entry should have her as a Female.  1881 as wife of James
RG11/3377 f26 p46
Frances Newton   Married   Female  age 37   born Harby, Leicestershire,

Excellent! Thanks!

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 08:42 BST (UK) »
Or James could be his wifeís brother. Or Frances his wifeís sister? Argh. Will have to dig deeper. I favour the latter, as Henry was a Miller (born a MŁller according to one christening record at a Catholic church in Newark in the 1850s) and Elizabeth was a White.

Edit: she was Frances Knapp, born to William and Sarah (both English). Not sure where the connection is. Canít find James.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 15:19 BST (UK) »
Newark, Holy Trinity RC Baptisms
9 Jan 1851 Katrina dau of Heinrich Muller & Elizabeth Wright
1 Apr 1854 Henry son of H Muller & Eliza Wright born 26 March 1854
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 15:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks! I hadnít seen the Katrina one before.