Author Topic: My Dromore ancestors - Morrison, Lindsay, Murphy, Jones and McClatchey.  (Read 10159 times)

Offline OzKat

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Tangled webs
    • View Profile
My Dromore ancestors - Morrison, Lindsay, Murphy, Jones and McClatchey.
« on: Tuesday 03 August 04 09:12 BST (UK) »
I thought I would post a general message about my families of interest in the vague hope that someone out there is connected. I have posted elsewhere on the Internet from time to time but to no avail.  :P

Of particular interest is the family of Morrisons whose family home was on Mile Bush Road, Magherabeg, Dromore. I have them at this home from the 1830s till the 1920s through a series of vague connections. Some of them also lived in Gallows Street, Dromore and some others married as far afield as Hillsborough and Lisburn. Common family names appear to be Hugh, Anthony and Samuel. Edith, my most recent Morrison emigrated to Australia with her sister Maud in 1929.

I also have a Thomas Murphy in Listullycurran in the 1860s and his daughter Eliza Jane. I know nothing else about them yet -  a whole lot of work to do.

There are Lindsays in Ballymacormick and Ballynaris - William, Robert, George, Margaret and Mary. They seem to have farmed this area throughout the 19th century but again I have little about them as yet.

I have a Francis and a James Jones in Dromore and Ballysullough in the mid 19th century. There also seems to be a Ballymacormick connection here.

And the name McClatchey features as well but as yet I know nothing about it.

Any information would be received with great excitement.

(Just an update - I now find that my Morrisons probably lived on Magherabeg Road not Mile Bush Road. It's my Lindsay family that lived on Mile Bush Road.)  ;D

... Morrison, Murphy, Lindsay, Jones, McClatchey, McCormick, Sheehan & more - Ireland ...
... Grant, Ross, Urquhart, Rorie, May, McDougall, Donaldson  & more - Scotland ...
... Percival, Hodson, Russell, Lavis, Moxey, Viney, White, Delaforce, Bayne & many more - England ...

Percival and McCormack Family History

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: My Dromore ancestors - Morrison, Lindsay, Murphy, Jones and McClatchey.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 November 04 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi have you tried Genes Reunited website,I have had help in finding ancestors on both my husband's and my side of the family,good luck,Janette

Offline eejayess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 18:07 GMT (UK) »
I have a William Lindsay who was born in Ballymacormick Dromore abt. 1809 and was a Farmer, he married Margaret Poots in 1834 and had known children, Jane born 1835, George born 1837, William John born 1839, Robert born 1841 died before 1851, Margaret born 1844 and Robert born 1851.

Offline blinddog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 February 05 16:48 GMT (UK) »
do you no that Poots is a very common name in the Dromore Banbridge area.
I have a lot of relations called Poots in those areas. They came from Holland originally, around about 1689
Poots is a bastardisation of a dutch name, sounding something like De Putts.

Offline Anthony

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 March 05 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I hope this is of some help to you its from my 1852 Belfast, Towns & Villages Street Directory.

Dromore.

Gentry & Clergy.Etc
David Lindsay, Ashfield

Traders Etc.
David Lindsay, Linen merchant and Bleacher.

Anthony

Offline OzKat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tangled webs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 04:51 BST (UK) »
Somehow I missed picking up these posts in response to my original message. Sorry about that. I must have been looking elsewhere.

To Anthony - unfortunately I haven't yet encountered any Davids in my Lindsay family but since I know so little it doesn't mean they don't exist.

To eejayess who wrote -
I have a William Lindsay who was born in Ballymacormick Dromore abt. 1809 and was a Farmer, he married Margaret Poots in 1834 and had known children, Jane born 1835, George born 1837, William John born 1839, Robert born 1841 died before 1851, Margaret born 1844 and Robert born 1851.
Do you know anything more about these Lindsays? I have seen references to an awful lot of Lindsays in Ballymacormick and it is hard to know which is which. I come to a grinding halt at my William Lindsay. (And another dumb question - did I discuss this with you on Caora? I lost a lot of info lately not backing up my hard disk properly and I am trying to put it all back together.)

Regards.

... Morrison, Murphy, Lindsay, Jones, McClatchey, McCormick, Sheehan & more - Ireland ...
... Grant, Ross, Urquhart, Rorie, May, McDougall, Donaldson  & more - Scotland ...
... Percival, Hodson, Russell, Lavis, Moxey, Viney, White, Delaforce, Bayne & many more - England ...

Offline krol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've just found your post about Morrison ancestors in Dromore.

I also have that name and area in my tree, but they came from Fermanagh initially.

James Morrisson was my great grandfather, his father William.  James was married to Mary Stewart, William to Lucinda Jennings.  Mary died in 1903 and James married again.   James worked in a cotton mill in County Down.  Their daughter Madeline, my grandmother, was born in Dumbarton, Gilford, Co. Down.

Does this mean anything to you or am I just 'barking up the wrong tree'!?

Krol

Offline ifajch

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 September 10 23:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eejayess - I got a bit excited about this as you gave me a lot of useful info I didn't have. Margaret Lindsay, daughter of Wm Lindsay & Margaret Poots, was my great grandmother. Her profession is listed as "Out door labourer" and she married James Ward, an Iron Work Labourer in Glasgow in 1874. I don't know whether they stayed in Scotland for a while and had family or whether the stay in Glasgow was short-term, but their son, also James Ward (my maternal grandfather) was living in Mount Street, Dromore in the 1911 census and then in a small house in the Mile Bush Road later on.
Many thanks for the info I didn't have about Margaret Lindsay's siblings.

Offline OzKat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tangled webs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Krol - no, none of the names you mention mean anything to me apart from the fact that I have seen some Stewarts in a Morrison family from Dromore that I haven't managed to connect to ie. Mary Ann Morrison, daughter of Anthony Morrison, married James Stewart and had five children some of whom stayed in Dromore and some lived in Belfast. And additionally my grandmother Edith Morrison and her sister Maud Morrison worked in an irish linen factory in Dromore - not quite a cotton mill but related I guess.
Hi Ifajch - my William Lindsay and daughter Margaret also lived in Mile Bush Road at some point but I haven't found any connection to Poots other than I know that my grandmother knew some people with the surname Poots.
Kath