Author Topic: Work house  (Read 229 times)

Offline anneb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Work house
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 20:13 BST (UK) »
I can remember my grandfather who died in the 1980s didn't want to go into the Tower hospital in Ely. He still thought of it as the workhouse.

Cambridge workhouse on Mill Road eventually became the maternity hospital-I was born there.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Work house
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 May 19 22:10 BST (UK) »
'There were no workhouses in the 1930s. They were abolished under the Local Government Act of 1929 and became Public Assistance Institutions, so you will need to use those keywords when searching.'

My aunt and uncle ran one from 1930's to 1970's.  After he died around 2010, I visited the town and asked for directions to the infirmary/old people's home/hospital.  'Oh, you mean the workhouse' was the response from a local.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.