Author Topic: Hard Times  (Read 2709 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Hard Times
« on: Wednesday 08 May 19 19:32 BST (UK) »
I`ve been reading a list of Felons on a Welsh Legal History website, it makes for some very sad reading in some cases.

One in particular, a 13 year old boy employed as a collier ( !!!! ), sentenced to 3 days in jail for committing a felony; in the previous year he was also convicted of stealing coals and spent time incarcerated. At least he wa spared transportation.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Times
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 22:03 BST (UK) »

One in particular, a 13 year old boy employed as a collier ( !!!! ),

Not a felon but my great uncle in the 1881 census, shown below:

Gadget

Added - he later played football for Wales - a cousin has inherited his caps  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 May 19 11:16 BST (UK) »
In the 1881 census I found my grandmother age 12 and her brother age 10 both working as piecers in a woollen mill. Their address was Mill Yard and their father was also working at the mill as a selfact minder.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 May 19 12:04 BST (UK) »
I think what struck me about this was that he may have been stealing the coal for his family, and what a young age to be underground.

I also have mill workers in my tree. My gt grandmother according to the 1841 census, was a Woolen  winder at age 13, as was her sister aged 10, another 2 children aged 15 also worked in the mill, another child aged 8 with no description. Their parents had died and they all lived with their sister and her husband both 20 plus their baby.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 May 19 13:35 BST (UK) »
I started to deliver newspapers when I was 9.

Winter mornings plus nights and Sunday supplements.  :( :( :(

Malky

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 May 19 13:42 BST (UK) »
Lots of refs on child labour in Victorian era. e.g.:

https://victorianchildren.org/victorian-child-labor/

(I don't think Malky is that old)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 May 19 14:28 BST (UK) »
(I don't think Malky is that old)

I look and feel it though!!

Malky

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 May 19 14:37 BST (UK) »
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13070519-tough-times-and-grisly-crimes

One of the saddest stories I have come across was in a local newspaper and is also featured in a local book 'Tough Times and Grisly Crimes' by Nigel Green.

When you click on the link you will see a little boy in the top hand corner.  He was called George Sayers.  He was convicted of stealing along with his Mother in North Shields in 1900. Apparently, she had told him to do it.  He burst into tears when he was charged.  As well he might - for doing what his Mother told him he received three strokes of a birch rod.

I know stealing is wrong but how cruel to punish a little child when he was just  obeying his Mother.   :'(
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 May 19 16:07 BST (UK) »
See the evidence given by children working in the coal mines to the 1842 Children's Employment Commission http://www.dmm.org.uk/childemp/names_a.htm

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk