Author Topic: Can't decipher the surname...  (Read 7939 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can't decipher the surname...
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 May 19 00:44 BST (UK) »
Makes you think your house might be The Villa?

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 May 19 07:05 BST (UK) »
It is looking like it... Is there any mention of The Villa in a later census I wonder?

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 May 19 07:19 BST (UK) »
1851 Reply #10

its Difficult to be sure looking without local knowledge as I am but in
1861 & 1871 I really do think it’s the rector John Eaton as per the 1881 etc in the previous thread.

I think you will have to pay up and get the censuses for yourself and walk up and down your road to figure it out. Using the blacksmith and the inns and that handy map from the last thread as locators.

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 11 May 19 10:08 BST (UK) »
I think your idea of a physical check from the street is a good one. I did mention the possibility of the house's use as a rectory to the contact at the heritage centre but she thought that the Shardlow Manor down the road had been the old rectory. I will have to check it out.

Thank you for your help! We made some good progress.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 May 19 17:07 BST (UK) »
Trying to identify a former resident of our house in the 1840 tithe map book. Charles Thorell/Thowell?

Thanks in advance for any good ideas!

Matt

Hello

You mention Tithe Map Book (in the singular), so I'm not exactly sure what you have, because it seems you don't have the Map?

Is it something that came with your Pack of House Deeds?

Tithable Fields were Surveyed with numbered Maps drawn showing fields, usually houses, farms, pubs etc., along with a corresponding numbered accompanying Apportionment Schedule Books (with Proprietors and the main Occupiers named, their Rent Charges) and were produced shortly after the Tithe Commutation Act 1836, when the old Tithes were commuted to Rent Charges.

If the property with Owner/Occupier is in the Tithe Book (Apportionment) the exact location is usually on a detailed Tithe Map, these will often be properties built on the older or even ancient field inclosures and enclosed historically by the former Lord/s of the Manor (Landowner/s).

Amended
Field inclosures depicted on a Tithe Map are older and pre-date 18th & 19th Century Parliamentary Enclosure Acts. Enclosure by Parliamentary Act were usually exonerated from Tithe. (Usually the rules applied in drawing up Tithe Maps are stated in the Apportionment or any associated paperwork).

The number in the Tithe Apportionment Schedule 'Map No' column (or whatever name the Surveyor called that column) should correspond to a number on the Tithe Map.

Tithe Apportionment (Parish) at TNA, Kew, in the IR 29 Series
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9367

Tithe Maps at TNA, Kew, in the IR 30
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=IR%2030&_dss=range&_sd=1830&_ed=1850&_ro=any&_hb=tna&_st=adv

If visiting see their "Visit Us" page first, because you will need a "Readers Ticket" to see original documents, which involves proving who you are and where you live, when applying for, or renewing a "Readers Ticket".

Two were often made (by Parish, with Tithable fields) and before going to Kew, you should check with your County Records Office, or Diocesan Record Office (if nearer) as to whether they hold the Original or a Copy of both the Tithe Apportionment with a Map.

The Tithe Maps surveyed for the Tithe Commutation Act 1836, were often detailed and fields, usually gardens, building locations can be compared with the later 1880s England Ordnance Survey 6" scale (or larger) and later OS large scale edtions.

Mark

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 May 19 17:28 BST (UK) »
Here's the same name in the 1849 tithe record as occupier of the 'Old Homestead' (landowner was James Sutton Esq).
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 May 19 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the very detailed description of the Tithe Apportionment system Mark. To answer your questions, I found the information at the local records office in Matlock, Derbyshire. There I found the map and the corresponding book entry which threw up the name Thorold/Thorrell. I am still waiting to get the deeds from the previous owner - I do hope he will pass them on to us.

How often were such 'surveys' carried out? I was surprised to learn about the Poor Rate Survey of 1852 which seems to operate in a similar manner with a map and corresponding book. Fortunately the local heritage centre had copies of this as the local records office no longer allows the original to be viewed and indeed I had never even heard of this previously. Are there any other surveys to be investigated? I am familiar with the tithe survey of the 1840s, the poor rate survey on 1852 and a land valuation survey in 1910.

I really should renew one of my subscriptions to investigate the census information and to find out why Charles Thorold would be living in the house with his sisters from a very young age. The link with Harmston Hall is an interesting one.

Thanks once again.

Matt

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 May 19 23:02 BST (UK) »
This in no way helps your original question, but does form part of the history of the house:

An article in 1959 describes a very bad fire at the house, naming the occupier as Mrs. Marion Booth. (Fireman from both Derby borough and Long Eaton attended... do they keep old records, I wonder?)

There is another article mentioning a fellow in an accident, giving his address as c/o Mrs. Marion Booth, 81 London Rd Shardlow, so perhaps for a while it was used as a lodging house?

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 00:01 BST (UK) »
Well that sounds rather intriguing... What is the source of your information? I was unaware of any fire at the house and having stripped an awful lot of walls and wallpaper, I have got to see quite a lot of the building's fabric. One rear facing wall is a little bit black but the roof below looks to be an old one... All very interesting!