Author Topic: Can't decipher the surname...  (Read 7910 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can't decipher the surname...
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 May 19 08:01 BST (UK) »
1841  I am not sure which side of the Dog & Duck your house is but in

Aston Lane immediately before the Dog & Duck

are William Sutcliffe  (something cliffe anyway) 35 a joiner
Sarah  ditto 30
Sarah ditto 5
Jane ditto 1
all born in county

Then the Dog & Duck  (inn keeper is Elizabeth Shardlow)

House after the Dog & Duck
address is Derby Road

John & Sarah Potter both 60,  John a Farming Bailiff.  Both born out of county
Phenicia Chapman 5 born in county

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 May 19 08:04 BST (UK) »
1851 census has a Charles Thorold living at The Villa,  London Road, Shardlow. He's head of the household but only aged 25 with a 19 year old wife, he's an Annuitant as are his 4 sisters also in the household. Charles and his sisters were born in Harmston Lincolnshire. There are also a groom and two domestic servants living in The Villa.

Heather

P.s. If you search for Harmston Hall there are details of the history of that house and the Thorold family  :)
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 May 19 09:14 BST (UK) »
The house sits on London Road now which has previously been called Derby Road. Opposite the house to the left is a junction with Aston Lane. The Dog and Duck is directly opposite. On our side of the road there were 2 or 3 small cottages to the left which have now been knocked down. The other side there was a farmhouse and barn. Our house is fairly large and is likely to have had staff. Although called the Dower House, there is no indication that it wax ever used by a dowerger from the nearby Shardlow Hall.

The lady that runs the local heritage centre might well recognise the family name of any likely suspects!

Thanks for the ideas.

Matt

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 May 19 09:23 BST (UK) »
Do you know where the Villa is in relation to yours?  (as I can see that in 1841)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 May 19 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hello.

Could Charles THORRELL be a starter.

Very uncommon if it is, and the second stroke of the pen looks more like an 'i' or 'e' than the letter r, to me.

Compare with the 'r' in Charles also.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 May 19 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hello.

Could Charles THORRELL be a starter.

Compare with the 'r' in Charles also.

Alan.

Hello

I would be inclined to agree with Thorrell and the reasoning of the letter r in Charles.

We always look for the recognisable words first in old Manor documents written in various old hand styles, to see how the writer forms the 26 letters of the alphabet, as capitals, small / lower case letters within words and also at the end of words.

Added

At the start of individual letters the pen can start light or with a dot and end prematurely (a better scan or photo is needed to check for this) a repeated letter can sometimes be lazy.

Very slight possibility of Thoriell, but rarer.

No i dotting, but again we would need to see if other letter i had missed dots, written at the same time.

Mark

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 May 19 21:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help with this. I am inclined to think Charles Thorold is a likely candidate. I have not previously heard the house called The Villa but this was also mentioned by my contact at the local heritage centre who also mentioned this name came up on the 1852 Poor Rate Survey. To cast some doubt on this, if he is 25 at the time of the census in 1851 then he is very young to be at the house in 1840 unless of course his father was also Charles Thorold...

The other thread about this house suggested that it was used as the rectory at some stage in the late 19th century. My contact at the heritage centre suggested this was unlikely and that it was Shardlow Manor, a larger house closer to the church that had fulfilled this role.

Thanks once again.

Matt

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 May 19 21:57 BST (UK) »
I’m at work so can’t recheck, but in 1841 The Villa was occupied by Mary surname the same as the people at the Hall. (Stanton? ) She had servsnts with some same surnames as servants at the hall too.
The Villa is before the Inn on the bend past the intersection with Aston lane. This Inn is Before the Shakespeare. I think all on opposite side of Derby road from dog and duck, blacksmith and church.

Hope that makes sense and someone else might look 😀

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 May 19 23:03 BST (UK) »
Shardlow Hall was purchased by James Sutton in 1826 from the Fosbrooke family and the house was part of that estate...