Author Topic: Can't decipher the surname...  (Read 7915 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Can't decipher the surname...
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 00:07 BST (UK) »
In the Stamford Mercury of 1899 there is a Mrs Hogg, Shardlow, Derby, advertising for a Housekeeper for a Country Rectory.

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 00:15 BST (UK) »
That's very interesting reading. It suggests the house has been called The Villa from the time of the 1851 census and Charles Thorold to 1914 and John Hogg.

I have no idea where you get some of your sources -amazing! It sounds very interesting about the shotgun... what happened? John Hogg was indeed a medical practitioner and the previous house owners had suggested a previous use for the house as a surgery. They also mentioned an incident of a housekeeper hanging herself in the house during his time there.   

James Sutton's will (1831) unfortunately does not seem to specify a recognisable name or description for the house which is unfortunate. We do know from other sources that the land is referred to as The Old Homestead and indeed the first map of Shardlow prepared for Leonard Fosbrooke in the 1760s seems to show that name...

On the subject of wills, is there anything mentioned in James Sutton Jr's will? He left his estate to Edward Sutton and it is his name as the owner in the 1910 Land Valuation Survey. My contact at the heritage centre suggested the estate was not sold off until the 1960s.

I don't know who was there at the house after John Hogg. Sylvester Calvert, a Jeweller, is there at the time of the 1939 Register. I have a copy of his photo from the heritage centre in the village too.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 00:38 BST (UK) »
There is a very long article on the actual event, and subsequent funeral for Dr. Hogg.  I can summarize it later (in bit of a rush right now!)  It also states that he used the house for a surgery.

Mark is right that in the 1901/1911 census the house is listed as "London Rd", not "The Villa", but there is just so many articles that link John and his wife, Amy Kathleen, to that name.  Doesn't mean he owned it!  Anyways, all we can do is find what information is out there, and then draw conclusions.

Here is one example:

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 05:22 BST (UK) »
I still haven't gotten to typing up a post on the articles/directories/other stuff I found, but before I lost the following link, I thought I better get this posted.  It is a 46 page pdf file talking about the historical homes/buildings of Shardlow, and Dower House comes up many times in comparing styles of it to Broughton House, Shardlow House, etc etc.  Not just the styles are compared, but the bricks, chimneys, etc. Lots of pictures, so it's not 46 pages of reading! It also helps in defining where these homes were.

Click here for the insanely long link !

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 06:15 BST (UK) »
This has turned into a fascinating thread thanks to Mark, bbart and others.

Some excellent discoveries and although long, your link is very interesting bbart. I expect Matt may have seen this publication but it rounds things out for others who are following this thread.  :)

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 08:28 BST (UK) »
Yes Ruskie. It's fascinating and answering so many questions! I really appreciate the interest. It shows the Internet at its best.

I did see the Shardlow conservation area statement - the fire would explain the absence of the lead detail on the roof it refers to.

Thanks everyone!

Matt

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hello

For the House name, I think this may need more research and to see whether the house name was changed, or even changed back to an old name.

The Rectory is to the East and Broughton House even further away.

----------

There is an 1863 newspaper Court Case in the Leeds Mercury (column too long to post here in full) mentioning James Clifford of Broughton House, Shardlow and even earlier dates than the 1831 Will. The case mentioning the Sutton and Clifford surnames was about the alleged unlawful removal of a page from the Church Register.

It might be useful when researching the family, as it will be surviving Sutton and other owners documents mainly, for House history tracing and research.

----------

"Extension to Shardlow Conservation Area" 1992 attached pdf link (wouldn't open, so removed & see next post)
Public Footpaths are usually two dotted lines, it would appear the Dower House property boundary is described, named and house is numbered 81 London Road, abutting a Public Footpath, in the attached Order.

You will need the correct dated OS Map (not the one featured) for the OS Field Numbers to correspond to those in the 1992 Conservation Area Order, or you might get a Copy of the Order (with Map) from a Principal Library or Council Offices, etc., that holds these Public Notices. Your Solicitor ought to have provided you with this, as it appears to abut a boundary?

The 1959 Fire mentioned by another Rootschatter might be useful as it gives the Occupant's Name Mrs Marion Booth, which might also be useful, if she appears in an Electoral Roll, or old Telephone Book.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 10:21 BST (UK) »
I will try again, 1992 Order. Works now.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 16 May 19 01:25 BST (UK) »
For the House name, I think this may need more research and to see whether the house name was changed, or even changed back to an old name.

I absolutely agree it needs more research.  Figuring out the route the census enumerator took is probably the best bet, as the folks listed are actually living there.  All over the UK I can find articles on City Councils approving name changes for homes, but not a peep from Shardlow.... so frustrating!   In 1841, Mary, the widow of James Sutton, called her home "villa" on the census, but it was down by the Quay area.  There was a Grove House near the Pub across from Matt's, but years later (or earlier, I can't remember now), it was down by Moorside.    I'm pretty certain all these folks knew that Matt would be along in a century and a half wanting to know, so they traded/dropped/changed their house names, and are all giggling in their graves. So the hunt goes on.

As for the article on the shooting:

Derby Daily Telegraph 29 June 1914 (page 3)

Title: Fatal Accident to Dr. Hogg

The article is of the inquest, held at Dr. Hogg's house, by Mr. W.R.H. Whiston, deputy coroner. It seems that the main question was whether it was accidental, or intentional. Dr Hogg often hunted, and always cleaned his own guns.

The first witness was Miss Hogg, daughter of the deceased identified him, and gave his age as 45.  She states he was cheerful when he set out to hunt rabbits, and saw him carrying a gun, around 10 a.m..  She saw him cross a field, and a while later heard a shot.  She saw him returning home, and shortly after heard a shot from his surgery, where she hurriedly went to, and found her father lying on top of the gun.  He told her that he was cleaning his gun, and it accidentally went off.  Miss Hogg telephoned Dr. Turpin of Alverston to come.

The second witness was Arthur Hudson, the gardener.  He saw the Dr. before he went out, as the Dr. passed the coach-house where Arthur was working.  A while later, Arthur heard one shot, and then saw the Dr. return, who told him he missed the rabbit, and to get the motor ready so he could do his rounds.  Dr. Hogg appeared to be in his normal mood.  Within five minutes, Arthur heard a shot in the surgery, and ran there immediately, where he found Dr. Hogg lying on the floor, bleeding and moaning.  Dr. Hogg told him that he was cleaning his gun and it went off. He helped the Dr. up but he lied back down on the floor.

Third witness was Police Constable Wright, of Shardlow. He arrived around 11:30, after Dr. Turpin had attended Dr. Hogg. The constable found two guns; one had two spent cartridges but did not appear to have been fired for several days, and the other had a recently discharged spent cartridge in the right chamber, and the left chamber was empty. The gun only required a very light pull to discharge. There was bloody clothes and a pool of blood on the floor. He examined the clothes and traced the course of the shot to the ceiling, where it had entered the ceiling.

Fourth witness was Dr. Turpin, who said upon his arrival he found Dr Hogg lying on his back suffering a severe hemorrhage, but was conscious.  Dr. Hogg told him he was cleaning his gun and it went off.  Dr Turpin's examination found a circular wound in the side, with the shot passing out his back below the ribs. He concluded that the gun barrel must have been very close, if not touching, the body when the weapon was fired.  He was with Dr Hogg when he passed away. He believe that Dr Hogg was in good health, and had no special worries, and was cheerful when his saw him last.

The Deputy Coroner concluded that the Dr must have forgotten it was loaded, leaned on the muzzle while cleaning the gun, as the state of the clothes testified, and as it was easily fired went off accidentally.