Author Topic: Birth Place of David WATKINS  (Read 2371 times)

Offline John41137

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Place of David WATKINS
« on: Thursday 09 May 19 06:23 BST (UK) »
Request to Roots Chat for assistance to locate the birth place of my 2nd great grandfather David WATKINS

Background:

My paternal grandmother was Annie Watkins, born in Box Hill Victoria in 1887. She married my paternal grandfather John McFarlane at Albury, NSW in 1904 and subsequently emigrated to Dunedin, NZ around 1910.

Her father Samuel Watkins had also emigrated to NZ and died there in 1915.  According to his death certificate it states his parents were David Watkins and a Mary Ann Hutchinson. and that he was born in Victoria. However, there are no Victorian BDM records for this birth.  David Watkins is thought to have been a miner who emigrated to Australia from Wales to take part in the gold rush in the 1850s at Buninyong near Ballarat, Victoria.  However, there is no conclusive evidence to verify this.  The  outcome of research to date is outlined in an attachment.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Place of David WATKINS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 May 19 06:55 BST (UK) »

Can you list all the information on the death document for Samuel WATKINS, died 1915.

"...Annie Watkins, born in Box Hill Victoria in 1887"

This birth certificate will have good information about her father Samuel....age, occupation, birthplace.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 May 19 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Some questions ...  :D   ... working back from the known ... :)

:) from the NSW marriage cert for Annie WATKINS to John MCFARLANE/MACFARLANE, 1904, what information did Annie give about herself, and both her parents ... this is first hand information and likely to be reliable/capable of checking against other official records  :) Also, what denomination for that marriage, and who were the witnesses ... and as Annie was not yet 21, so who is recorded as giving consent for her to marry...   

NSW BDM 8437/1904 marriage indexed twice (McFarlane,  MacFarlane)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 May 19 07:18 BST (UK) »

Can you list all the information on the death document for Samuel WATKINS, died 1915.

"...Annie Watkins, born in Box Hill Victoria in 1887"

This birth certificate will have good information about her father Samuel....age, occupation, birthplace.

Yes,  excellent suggestion,  I see the following from Vic BDM online index for births:

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history

Annie WATKINS 1887  mother’s name as Annie MOTTRAM
Other WATKINS siblings also with same mother’s name on the index.
Vic bdm ref number : 8739 / 1887

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 May 19 10:25 BST (UK) »
Vic BDM online marriage index

Ann MOTTRAM and George SMITH, ref 3669/ 1868,

JM

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 May 19 12:34 BST (UK) »

BDM VIC birth
10047 / 1890 WATKINS Ethel May
parents Saml / Annie MOTTERAM    @ Bridgewater

NSW BDM
3960/1908 WATKINS Ethel M marr. RAY George J       @ Albury
3961/1908 WATKINS Nellie    marr. SAWYER Allan J    @ Albury

Catholic Press 30 Apr 1908 p15
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/105169730?
...double wedding.......daughters of Samuel WATKINS of Albury.....best man Mr J SMITH.......

NZ BDM births to find for RAY, parents George James and Ethel May.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 May 19 14:48 BST (UK) »
According to his death certificate it states his parents were David Watkins and a Mary Ann Hutchinson. and that he was born in Victoria.

Death certificates can be very unreliable, so this from your attachment is more relevant.

I was able to locate a marriage certificate (Victorian BDM ref 4216/1877) for Samuel which states that he married an Annie Smith in Maryborough in December 1877. Samuel gave his age as 22 at the time and his birth place as Buninyong Victoria. He listed his parents as David Watkness and Mary Ann Hutchinson. His location and occupation at the time of the marriage was Chinamans Flat, Farmer.

I will also add that he said his father David was a labourer.  Samuel and Annie were married by a Wesleyan minister.  Samuel signed his name confidently as what appears to be WATKNESS.  Annie made her mark. The witnesses are, I think, Alexander and Jane PANTON.

The 1881 birth certificate for Samuel and Annie's second child, Ellen, gives the same age and place of birth for Samuel and the informant was the child's grandmother, Mary Ann HUBBARD of Serpentine Creek.  As Annie gave her mother's name as Catherine when she married it seems likely that this person was Samuel's mother Mary Ann.

Debra  :)

Offline John41137

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 May 19 00:41 BST (UK) »
A copy of Samuel Watkins Death Certificate is attached as a PDF file.  If this is not satisfactory I will type out key information.

I have ordered a copy of the Birth Certificate for Annie Watkins and also a copy of her marriage certificate to John McFarlane.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards John

Offline John41137

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 May 19 05:07 BST (UK) »
I have attached a PDF file containing the Marriage Certificate of Annie Watkins and John McFarlane

Regards

John