Author Topic: Birth Place of David WATKINS  (Read 2372 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Place of David WATKINS
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 May 19 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Have you searched for the surname as though it was (mis)-transcribed as  ATKIN,  ATKINS, WATHEN,  WATHENS, AKENS, AIKENS, and ... also have you searched for Mary Ann HUBBARD ...

Thank you for posting those certs.   I wonder if you have considered the alternative to NSW certs - NSW BDM has appointed three official transcribers,  and they offer an excellent service, the documents are not as expensive and are transcribed by people who are already skilled at deciphering the longhand on the documents. 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html

I am still looking  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline John41137

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 May 19 02:48 BST (UK) »
I have searched for Mary Ann Hubbard on VIC BDM.

Birth 1836-1860 there was one index 11162/1852
Marriages 1836-1880 there were two options: William Francis 3586/1862 and Michael McCallan 3144/1879.

I have not found Samuel as a twin brother to Ellen a child of Samuel Watkins and Annie Mottram.  I have Ellen born 1881 ref 2671/1881 and Samuel 1879 ref 2032/1879

I will pursue the name variations you suggest.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 May 19 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,
One David WATKINS not mentioned in your notes (attached) is the convict sentenced for 10 years in Tasmania.
He departed Tasmania for Melbourne in 1852, his sentence having been served.
https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John41137

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 May 19 02:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Thanks for the lead about David Watkins a convict held in Tasmania until his discharge in 1852.

It is feasible that he could have moved from Melbourne to the gold fields around Ballarat at this  time and could be Samuel's father.  According to Samules marriage certificate he claims he was born in 1857.

I also note that there was a Mary Ann Hutchinson in Tasmania who also was a convict. It appears she stayed in Tasmania and died there.

John

Offline John41137

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 May 19 02:56 BST (UK) »
I have tried the alternative surname spelling without success.

John

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 May 19 03:34 BST (UK) »
This may just be a coincidence and just wild speculation.....

Annie SMITH nee MOTTRAM had a brother named James who had children with an Ellen LANE.  Ellen's mother was a Mary Ann HUTCHINSON.

This Mary Ann was born in Melbourne in either 1839 or 1841 and married at Buninyong in 1855 to Thomas LANE.  Her stated age was 16 and Thomas was aged 33.  Mary Ann's baptism in 1841 has a birth year of 1841 but the news article states she was born in 1839.

A mention of the marriage here:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/66041871

Thomas and Mary Ann had five children born in Buninyong between 1856 and 1865.  She remarried in 1894 to her widowed brother-in-law George KING and both were residents of Durham Lead.  The marriage certificate notes that she had been widowed in 1877 but I can't really see a suitable death registration for Thomas.

It is not impossible that Mary Ann had a relationship with a Mr HUBBARD between her two husbands. There is no evidence that this woman was Samuel WATKINS' mother but I wonder if Samuel was raised by her and had no memory of his biological mother.

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 May 19 03:44 BST (UK) »
This baptism may be of  interest
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTCX-3QS
it has Mary Ann's family name as HUTCHISON (so missing an 'n') and a date of birth of 5 May (but 1841 rather than 1839 as per the newspaper), I think this would be the baptism Debra mentions  :) 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,
One David WATKINS not mentioned in your notes (attached) is the convict sentenced for 10 years in Tasmania.
He departed Tasmania for Melbourne in 1852, his sentence having been served.
https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/

Sue

His sentence was 7 years but he didn't obtain his free cert until 1852.  There are only minor misdemeanors in his record and no mention of why he ended up serving over 20 years.

He was sentenced to three months in Melbourne in 1855 for larceny and was using the name David WATSON.  Two previous convictions 2 x two months.  His Vic. record states that his real name was David JOHNSON and he had a brother John in the colony.

https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/justice-crime-and-law/register-male-and-female-prisoners-1855-1947

Debra  :)

Offline John41137

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra
There is another scenario to that suggested in your post of 13 May re the mother of Samuel Watkins.
Sue brought to my attention a David Watkins who had served time in Tasmania as a convict .  He was released in 1852 and was put on a ship which was to land in Melbourne.  As the gold rush around Ballarat was underway it is feasible that he may have headed for Buninyong.

At that  time Mary Ann Hutchinson was aged 21 and unmarried until 1855.  As mentioned in my opening brief there is no BDM records for Samuel'a birth.  However, on his marriage to Annie Smith (Mottram) in 1877 (see attached file) he stated his age  was 22 (DOB 1855) born in Buninyong to David Watkins and Mary Ann Hutchinson.
It is possible that David ex Tas had a brief relationship with Mary Ann and she became pregnant with Samuel.
It assumes Thomas Lane accepted the situation and Samuel was brought up as part of the Lane family.

However, I note a Samuel was born to Mary Ann and Thomas in 1860 (ref 19609) which detracts somewhat from the above scenario.

John