Author Topic: Schools in Wansford 1825  (Read 199 times)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Schools in Wansford 1825
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 May 19 17:06 BST (UK) »
It might be worth contacting the person who wrote the letter, to verify the information etc.

I can't see any reference to a school in that location, although it may have been a small private one.

David

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 May 19 19:08 BST (UK) »
I agree with David.  Arrangements for educating children were many and varied in the early-mid 1800s.  Not every village would have a dedicated school room (let alone a school house) and many teachers used their front room to teach a small class the basics of reading and figuring.
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford, Lymington, Calne): Moore (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley, Salisbury): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn, Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (mid-Wales, Salop): Yaldwyn

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 May 19 16:26 BST (UK) »
A few extracts on schools in Wansford, one of which gives the location, but there may have been more than one.

Stamford Mercury 30 August 1822
"when, by a stroke of lightning, three, out of upwards of twenty children, were killed in small school-room at Wansford a few years ago, they were found on the floor state of suffocation, and would have perished, had not neighbour accidentally accidentally gone in

Stamford Mercury 22 April 1881
"THE Friends of the late Miss Wilson beg to thank the public for their support during the many years sbe conducted her School at Wansford, and to announce that they have disposed of the same to Miss BAILEY and Miss ANNIS, whom they can recommend with confidence."

http://livingvillagesmagazine.co.uk/files/Dec-14.pdf

"Reading November’s Living Villages, I was interested in the archivist’s article which mentioned Miss Bailey and Miss Annis keeping the “Wansford School for Young Ladies” in the early 20th century. I knew them very well and as a child I often visited them. The school, which had been in Barnaby House opposite The Haycock, had closed by then."

David

Offline Skull

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 May 19 21:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this David.

Skull