Author Topic: George Rigby baptism Help needed  (Read 1140 times)

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Rigby baptism Help needed
« on: Friday 10 May 19 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi. I’m having great difficulty in locating a baptism for George Rigby. George married Nancy Thistleton at St Michael on Wyre in 1796. The only baptism I can find is 1780 at Fernyhalgh, but that would only put him at 16, and there is another George who baptised his Children with wife Helen Miller at Fernyhalgh. George and Nancy/Ann baptised their children at Newsham. On their marriage licence it states he’s from Catforth Woodplumpton age 21. If anyone could help in order for me to determine which George is the son of Nicholas and Jennet Carter. Many thanks as always

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Rigby baptism Help needed
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 May 19 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hello
There is another George Rigby at Fernyhalgh
Richard George Rigby bapt  2 Mar 1776 s of William and Anna Rigby.

Have you considered him?

George Miller married Ellen Miller at Goosnargh 10 Apr 1804 wit Richard Rigby and Henry Grimbalston. No indication of bach /spinster etc

There is a Richard Rigby bapt 30 Aug 1778 to Nicholas and Joanna Rigby who may be the witness  .
Their George born 19 June 1780 as you say.So a brother perhaps?

William married Anne Gornall 1 May 1775 at St John Preston
He was husbandman of Haighton and she's a spinster  of Fulwood
wit Henry barns and Nicholas Rigby.
By licence so might be more info out there.
They did have another son George in 6 Dec 1797 but just plain George so they might have had two.
Burials for Fernyhalgh not on line so I can't check.

Ciderdrinker

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 May 19 14:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks ciderdrinker. I did think that he could of dropped the Richard. There’s so many of the same names it’s difficult to know. All I am sure of is
• he could write
• he came from a wealthy family as the marriage bond was £200 in 1797
• There are only 3 Rigby marriages at St Michael on Wyre. Was he new to the parish?
• His children, baptised at Newsham had no Rigby’s as godparents, or Thistletons
• He named his children in line with the family of Nicholas and Jennet
• Ann/Nancy Thistleton was 18 at marriage.
• He is a witness at the marriage of Robert Hodson at St Anne’s Woodplumpton, who was baptised at Fernyhalgh.

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 06:43 BST (UK) »
I have checked on Lan-opc and IGI and I can't find any children for George and Nancy from 1796 to 1820 .
did they have any - if so what are their names please ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi garstonite. George and Ann/ Nancy Thistleton baptised their children catholic at Newsham and Cottam. According to a news article in 1831 they had 12 living children, I can only account for 10
• James 1799
• Mary 1801
• Mary 1802
• Mary 1803
  (All above Mary’s died in infancy)
• William 1804
• Mary 1807
• George 1808
• Robert 1810
• Helen 1812
• Richard 1813
• Nicholas 1815 d 1815
• Nicholas 1816
• Henry 1819
• Elizabeth 1822

There’s speculation that Thomas Rigby b1796 married Elizabeth Livesey at St Anne’s is also George and Anna’s son. Today I found a baptism for John Rigby 1797 at Newsham, but it says father John mother Anna, but same abode and sponsors and has Anna as Protestant.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 17:18 BST (UK) »
I count 14 in your list reply #4.
 I found 13 in baptism registers of Newhouse and Cottam Catholic  missions, starting with James 1799 to Mary 1807 then Robert 1810 to Nicholas 1815, all at Newhouse.  (I missed George 1808.)  Nicholas 1816 and Henry 1819 at Cottam. Elizabeth 1822 (didn't note where).
 Ann was noted as 'catechum.' at baptism of James, 1799, i.e. she was taking instruction in Catholic faith, 'Prot' at baptisms of Mary 1801, William 1804 and Mary 1807. I think she became Catholic later. Baptisms of Nicholas 1816 and Henry have 'conj. Catholicorum', i.e. Catholic married couple. A George and Ann Rigby were godparents for Ann Hawthornthwaite, baptised at Newhouse 1814.
Robert Hodson was godfather to James 1799. Mary Hodson was gm to Mary 1802 & Mary 1803. John Hodson was gf to Mary 1803 & Mary 1807 & Helen 1812. Ellen Hodson gm to Mary 1807.John Hornby was gf at first 2 Mary baptisms.
Abode at baptisms 1799, 1802, 1804 'in pago Plumpton in paroc' (in the village or district of Plumpton in the parish). I assume that meant Woodplumpton and not Little Plumpton or Great Plumpton. Abode 1816  'Woodplumpton' and 1819 'Plumpton'.  I didn't note abode for other baptisms.
Abode at deaths of the 3 infants Mary: 1801 Eaves; 1803 Woodplumpton. (LANOPC)
Newhouse burials register 22nd June 1815 'Infans Georgii Rigby'. I assume that was Nicholas, baptised 4th May 1815.
I saw the baptism of John Rigby 1797, son of John & Ann '(Prot); in pago Plumpton' in Newhouse register. Annoyingly it doesn't have Ann's maiden surname.
[Information from 'Lancashire Registers: The Fylde' (Catholic Record Society)]
I've previously noticed a few transcription errors in that CRS volume when looking up baptisms of my ancestors. Occasionally the first name of a parent was incorrect. There's also the individual styles of recording used by each priest to contend with. My 4xGGF was sometimes noted as Protestant and sometimes not. (I'd assumed, with the surname Southworth, that he was Catholic; perhaps some priests made the same assumption.)
Cowban

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 17:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maidenstone. I understood the news article in 1831 to mean that at that time he had 12 living children. I did come across a 1851 census at Whittle le woods that had a John Rigby b 1799 Woodplumpton, mother Ann b 1778 Barton, widower, which fits.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 17:56 BST (UK) »
I found George 1808. Godparents Thomas & Ann Hornby.
Ann Rigby was last noted as Protestant at baptism of Helen 1812.
There was a Catherine Rigby, daughter of Elizabeth Rigby, of Catforth baptised at Newhouse 1827. Godparents were George and Mary Rigby.
Was the 1831 newspaper article an obituary? For whom? What did it actually say re children?
There seem to have been 4 infant deaths, Mary x3 and Nicholas x1.
Ann was 18 when she married in 1796, so born c.1778. That puts her around 44 when Elizabeth was born in 1822.
Cowban

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 18:25 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone the news article was from Preston Chronicle feb 5 1831 about a fire completely destroying his premises. It says ‘The property of Mr George Rigby, Catforth quarter of Woodplumpton were totally destroyed by fire. Mr Rigby was an industrious small farmer and weaver and has a family of 12 children, 8 of whom are at home with him’