Author Topic: Japan WW2  (Read 1115 times)

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Japan WW2
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 May 19 18:06 BST (UK) »
Excuse me butting in but I have special interest in PoW.  I agree that being a PoW in Japan, and being married in 1944 is conflicting.  But some PoWs in Europe were repatriated in 1942-44 if they qualified through illness or injury. I note that the May '44 newspaper clipping  says "wounded in France"  Perhaps he was PoW in Germany/France/Poland  etc. but repatriated.   For instance , see:  http://ww2today.com/19th-october-1943-disabled-pows-repatriated-in-prisoner-exchange

His Army records will be the authoritative source - you're going to have to order them up.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 May 19 19:02 BST (UK) »
Per the Southern Reporter of 6 June 1940 he had returned safely to UK with a minor flesh wound to the arm.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 May 19 13:50 BST (UK) »
A possible as marriage in paper mentions he was a Corpl. in the R A S C
S/74233    S Bateman wounded France 1.06.40
All the soldiers have had written numbers too, they could be ages so this would not be your man as the number next to him is 34.

I m sure you know but others might be interested to learn that he was deemed responsible for bringing You ll Never Walk Alone to Liverpool FC when he was responsible for warm up records at Anfield in the 60 s. (newspaper report with photo "Farewell to the Kop Anthem Man". His wife Hilda was very proud of him.
Cathy :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 May 19 12:23 BST (UK) »
Oh thank you SO much everyone. I must admit I was totally flummoxed by the marriage dates etc. This isn't a 'close' line of family - I just remember the hushed talk as a little one playing on the floor whilst the adults talked and then, as I was older, being told never to ask (I was a curious child fascinated by war stories!)

You're right - I'm going to have to order up the records and see for myself the true line. As time passes, lines blur and memories become not so crystal clear.

For those who've mentioned the LFC connection - most of that side of the family gave their working lives to the club in one way, shape or other.  :)

Thank you everyone - you're knowledgable input has helped me incredibly. Much appreciated.
M